Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: to O ring or not to O ring

revndave
    New motor should be together in about 4 to 5 weeks.Also got rid of 8-71.Running a 12-71 on new motor.

UBFJ #454
    'Ms. MoneyPenny' whose Static CR is slightly above 15:1 has her second set of Cometic's in her. Her first set got 'Squished' in one spot when we 'Burpped' the head.

Here's our motor set up's ...
    Blown Alcohol motor: 529 BBC, 1471, bird, Copper gaskets, o-ringed block, no receiver groove in the head, 85 ft. lbs torque, 30-35 lbs of boost, never blown a gasket.
    Blown Gas motor: 440 BBC, PSI D, Copper gaskets, o-ringed block, receiver groove in head, 85 ft. lbs of torque, 40 lbs of boost, blows head gaskets every 2 passes.
    IMHO, it (sealing the head to the block) is dependant on block/head/gasket preperation. My alcohol motor has had the block and heads decked at the same time. My Father-in-Law's gas motor didn't ... we argue all of the time on this topic, but maybe it's just me ... but mine don't seem to be blowing, his arguement is that he's running more boost ... blah, blah, blah.
    My suggestion is find out the combination that works in your application and run that combination. We all know how different every motor is, and therefore each application will have respective differences ... including what type of head gasket is used.
    Just my .02
    Have a good day,
    Brian

UBFJ #454
    Brian is right ... It depends on the Type of Motor, Block & Head Prep as well as the head & block materials (and Manufacturers) ... Cast-Cast, Al-Cast, Al-Al.

keithmenard
    my block is cast...the heads aluminum.
    where are you guys getting your cometics?

lucky
    this last year i was going to have my o rings ground flat - but my machinist would not do it on his machines - how hard is it on the machine ?

Infomaniac
    this last year i was going to have my o rings ground flat - but my machinist would not do it on his machines - how hard is it on the machine ?
    Did'nt affect the cutters at all. We thought it would just grab a wire and yank it out but it worked out great.
    Send it to me. $65.00 to deck the block

lucky
    Did'nt affect the cutters at all. We thought it would just grab a wire and yank it out but it worked out great.
    Send it to me. $65.00 to deck the block thats cheap - but the shipping is killer lol

keithmenard
    let me throw out one more thing...it apears both cometic AND felpro have MLS gaskets...preference?

Huffer
    8-71 To 12-71 Big Diff. Wait And See!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast