Thread: Steering cables

Wreidt
    Where is the best place to purchase steering cables? And anyone hear of Wreidt boats?

Hustler
    Rex marine has a complete setup that includes a new helm and the cable for $150
    Hustler

mikey
    Wriedt boats was located in Norwalk California back in 70's. They built a lot of different models, from low profile ski boats to 18'/19' high side family boats. Most of their early jet boats used the Mercury Ride Guide cable. Look at the way the steering wheel is held on. If there is a long bolt (about 10-12")going all the way through to the steering system with a nut on the back and it has a square tapper on the hub, then it's Mercury. The problem with switching steering systems is the hole size in the dash. Rideguide used a 3" hole and Morse uses a 2-1/4" hole. The Mercury cable is steel. The Mosre red jacket is stainless steel and the black jacket is galvanized steel. The Mercury cable should have a grease fitting at the rear. Pumping in a lot of grease lubes the inner core and helps keep the water out.
    If you have Ride Guide then I would by another Mercury cable, cheaper then a complete new system and will last just as long. Part number is 11111Axx (xx = is the length in feet) and has a price of 129.80 for a 16' cable. Mercury has an extended life cable, part number 828011Axx, with a price of 150.00 for a 16' cable.
    The Morse system has a 3/4" round tapper shaft with a nut and holding the steering wheel on. Morse came in two models, the Command 2 and Command 200. Command 2 is a rotary system with a drum attached to the steering helm. The command 200 is a rack system. A Morse 16' stainless steel cable will cost somewhere around $275.00 to $300.00 retail. Part number 300620-xxx (xxx = length in inches) for the 200 cable and 300622-xxx for the command 2. The galvanized cable cost about $160.00 for a 16' and has a part number of 300619-xxx
    Mike

froggystyle
    Damn Mike. "Me and Vincent would have been happy with some freeze dried Tasters Choice, but you gone and busted out the gourmet shit"
    That response goes on my top ten list of well thought out and informative responses of all time. Of course, I don't know if that means much coming from me. I just told someone who has a rough running problem that he might have a gnome living in his engine http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif
    Welcome to the boards!