Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swtd problem

anger management
    I am putting together a basket case swtd so i am not sure how or if some of the stuff that came with ,and in the boat fits. The fuel tanks are 8 gallon imco stainless side tanks.They appear to be the o.e tanks or at least the boat was run at some point with these tanks.My question pertains to the filler neck area the junction between the tank and filler,there is approx 1/2 inch of workable area between the hull and the tank not enough room to clamp the junction is there something im missing here.Are these tanks just flat the wrong ones for the hull .Any input from you swtd experts would be appreciated.

Nucking futs
    Those are the right tanks.Might check to see if you can trim the filler neck so that there is just enough to clamp to.Also on installation you might have to twist the 2 together to get the hose on.It is tight but thats what we like.........
    Tim

bp
    I am putting together a basket case swtd so i am not sure how or if some of the stuff that came with ,and in the boat fits. The fuel tanks are 8 gallon imco stainless side tanks.They appear to be the o.e tanks or at least the boat was run at some point with these tanks.My question pertains to the filler neck area the junction between the tank and filler,there is approx 1/2 inch of workable area between the hull and the tank not enough room to clamp the junction is there something im missing here.Are these tanks just flat the wrong ones for the hull .Any input from you swtd experts would be appreciated.
    dunno what tim sees, but a pic would help. mine are 11 gallon aluminum tanks, and the filler necks are offset. when installing the tank, i just place them in the clamps, roll the tank so the tube goes up on to the filler neck, then tighten the clamp. since i have 'em out right now, can't measure exactly how much space there is between hull/tank, but it's not much.

Floored
    I have about 1/4 in between the tank filler and my fuel fills, really short hose. had to shorten the Rex fuel fills to fit. use the most flexible hose you can get to not stress crack around the filler and use a backup ring under the filler to spread the load and improve the clamping.

victorfb
    some people use pop rivets to secure the fills to the hull. that way you can install the tanks, align the two and shove the fills with the hose allready attached. tighten the clamp and pop rivit the fills in place. just a thought.

atxwrangler
    YOU SAID 8 GALLON . DID YOU MEAN 8" ?I AM GOING TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN A WEEK OR SO WHEN MY SWTD COMES BACK FROM THE PAINT SHOP.I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE SET OF 8.5 INCH STAINLESS TANKS, BUT I BOUGHT A SET OF 8" SPUN ALUMINUM TANKS FROM 396 , JUST IN CASE THE STAINLESS TANKS DON'T FIT.THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFORMATION THAT EVERYONE CONTRIBUTES HERE EVERY DAY, PEACE OUT,MARTY

anger management
    YOU SAID 8 GALLON . DID YOU MEAN 8" ?I AM GOING TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN A WEEK OR SO WHEN MY SWTD COMES BACK FROM THE PAINT SHOP.I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE SET OF 8.5 INCH STAINLESS TANKS, BUT I BOUGHT A SET OF 8" SPUN ALUMINUM TANKS FROM 396 , JUST IN CASE THE STAINLESS TANKS DON'T FIT.THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFORMATION THAT EVERYONE CONTRIBUTES HERE EVERY DAY, PEACE OUT,MARTY my disciption was inacurate they are 11 gallon tanks and 8.5 inch diameter the prodution date is 8/81 thats were i got the 8 .They fit but its dammed tight. Good luck im still working on it.

atxwrangler
    HEY ANGER MANAGEMENT, DID YOU EVER GET THE 8.5 INCH TANKS TO FIT IN YOUR BOAT?I NEED THE DETAILS IF YOU DON'T MIND.I REALLY JUST NEED TO KNOW THAT IT CAN BE DONE!THANKS

anger management
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...re_143-med.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...re_142-med.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...re_144-med.jpg HEY ANGER MANAGEMENT, DID YOU EVER GET THE 8.5 INCH TANKS TO FIT IN YOUR BOAT?I NEED THE DETAILS IF YOU DON'T MIND.I REALLY JUST NEED TO KNOW THAT IT CAN BE DONE!THANKS

anger management
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...re_141-med.jpg [IMG]it looks like they fit barely I used a steering rack boot
    clamp to attatch the junction hose to the filler neck then put the assembly thew the hull and clamped it to the tank. the boat came with some crappy looking thick rubber spacers for the fillers the upper clamp is partially inside the spacer.Also the fuel line fitting is very close to the hull I had to cut it way down on the drivers side the pass side appears to have a little more room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast