Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering (Teleflex rack systems)

Word of caution. I had no idea how many different types of Teleflex steering/helms there were. The numbers on my old one had chaffed away so I just ordered a 16' cable thinking they were all the same. When it arrived and I unboxed it I could see right away that it wasn't gonna fit. Racks are different widths and the bolt holes don't line up. Gears don't engage either.
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/da...ng_cropped.jpg
    Called Rex and they're RA ing the one I ordered initially, then sent me the new cable and helm.
    I actually ordered the first one on a Monday. It arrived within a couple days. Then ordered the second one and they still got it to me on Friday in time to install it and hit the lake Friday night.
    Thought it might save someone else some time (or shipping money).
    Here's a list of the rack types off the back of the box.
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/da...ck_systems.jpg

atxwrangler
    thanx, i will be ordering a cable for mine in the next week or so! :wink:

Good, I hope it helps to get the right one the first time.
    I saved the box label and packing slip so the next time I'll get it right.
    Funny how you don't notice how tight the steering is getting when you drive it all the time. Man............it's like butta now!

cave
    Hey Dan, are you guys going to be local for the 4th of July?

Hey Jimmy
    Yeah............local. Probably head up to Bartlett. I'm taking a couple days off work, so I should be able to secure a spot.

cave
    Great I'm in negotiations on the days off deal with the company. Trying for Friday one day.
    Any beaches yet. My water bill is getting expensive. Thats my plan too right now but If I have to work that Saturday it may change.
    You have a bubble? Man I would kill for a rack & pinion steering. Not enough room in my 87.

According to the SRP water levels site (http://www.srpwater.com/dwr/) , it's down 1' from Memorial Day. That probably translates to 3 - 4 feet more beach. Still at 97% so percentage-wise it's the same. I guess that 1' down doesn't affect the percentage much.
    No bubble. My rack fits with room to spare. I've got the old rack type helm and the rack itself that I just pulled out, if you wanna try to test fit it. We can just cut the cable off it, and it'll make it easier to mess with (you wouldn't have to wrestle with the 16' of cable). You do have to drill some new holes in the dash, but the new plate covers it up so's you'd never know it.
    You could use this helm to test fit and know for sure if it'll fit before ordering one, or drilling any holes.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I just replaced my steering cable but I went the whole way, rack, pinion, everything but the steering wheel (such ugly wheels these days) I went with a HArdin Marine setup from CP Performance and had not a single problem. Smooth as silk now. I just posted this on another stiff-steering thread today with a hotlink to the exact one. I bought the Stainless Steel cable as well. Whole rig was only $150.

XClutchboy725
    Word of caution. I had no idea how many different types of Teleflex steering/helms there were. The numbers on my old one had chaffed away so I just ordered a 16' cable thinking they were all the same. When it arrived and I unboxed it I could see right away that it wasn't gonna fit. Racks are different widths and the bolt holes don't line up. Gears don't engage either.
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/da...ng_cropped.jpg
    Called Rex and they're RA ing the one I ordered initially, then sent me the new cable and helm.
    I actually ordered the first one on a Monday. It arrived within a couple days. Then ordered the second one and they still got it to me on Friday in time to install it and hit the lake Friday night.
    Thought it might save someone else some time (or shipping money).
    Here's a list of the rack types off the back of the box.
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/da...ck_systems.jpg
    Funny, I just learned the exact same lesson.
    Ordered cable....wrong one? doesn't fit?
    Back to Rex...talked with Daniel. I ended up having to buy the whole assembly, steering helm and all.
    Funny thing...... The cable in the whole assembly kit bolts right to the helm in the boat!
    I think Teleflex needs to evaluate their "replacement part" stock.
    The guys at Rex were top notch though!......

Funny, I just learned the exact same lesson.
    Ordered cable....wrong one? doesn't fit?
    Back to Rex...talked with Daniel. I ended up having to buy the whole assembly, steering helm and all.
    Funny thing...... The cable in the whole assembly kit bolts right to the helm in the boat!
    I think Teleflex needs to evaluate their "replacement part" stock.
    The guys at Rex were top notch though!......
    Ditto that Jeff. I figured oh well..........what the hell. The new helm and cable will be the same size as the replacement cable they sent me, and next time I can just replace the cable.
    As soon as I unboxed the new setup I noticed that it was the same helm as my old one WTF? I left the plate in but used the new helm since it came in the kit.
    Now I'm wondering if we can replace just the cable on the next go round? Sure sucks buying a new helm when you don't really need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast