Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering (Teleflex rack systems)

Zeug
    Word of caution. I had no idea how many different types of Teleflex steering/helms there were. The numbers on my old one had chaffed away so I just ordered a 16' cable thinking they were all the same. When it arrived and I unboxed it I could see right away that it wasn't gonna fit. Racks are different widths and the bolt holes don't line up. Gears don't engage either.
    So yours takes a 16' huh squirtcha? I thought mine was more like 13'. How is yours routed? What about you XClutchboy725?
    Mine comes down the gunnel and then makes an S in to the transom adapter. Not sure how else it coudl be done. I was goning to order a 13' but maybe now I should take this one out an measure.
    My wife thought the stearing had a lock on it like a car. :rollside:

XClutchboy725
    Yeah, mine is routed like yours ZEUG. You better measure, because mine is 16' just like Dan's.

Yeah, mine is routed like yours ZEUG. You better measure, because mine is 16' just like Dan's.
    Yup, same routing by your description. Measure the cable from the middle of the rack (where the gear is) to the end of the cable when it's protruding halfway out the jacket. They come in even 1' increments. That oughta work for ya. Pain in the arse shipping stuff back n forth and paying the extra. Try to get the right one the first time!
    13' sounds way short.

Zeug
    Ok, so I was measuring wrong. I went from cable/rack junction to cable/steering tube junction. The difference would probably be about the 3' It'll have to wait till after this weekend

The way you measured it, is the way I was always taught to measure cables. I think it's more precise because it doesn't matter if the cable is all the way in, or all the way out of the sheath.
    I found a description on how to measure the Teleflex cables somewhere on the internet while surfing around. They say to measure this way, then round up to the highest foot, which I guess makes up for whether the cable is in, or out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12