Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backfire ='s CRACKED CASE

StealBlueZ
    Hd the hydro out yesterday. Been tunning it after the new heads and was havig a problem with backfires. Never opened it up, but was crusing around 4g's, slowed down to idle and a humungus backfire occured. Scratched my head, wiped my a$$ and restarted. Idled about 15 seconds and something came apart. Fock. Further inspection revealed a crack in the left side of the blower case about 4" long. So this one is toast. May go back with a good TR, unless I find a good deal on a new/used 6, or 8-71. TR would be more practical, but we all love the blowers, right? Anyone got a TR or blower?

steelcomp
    A burst panel woulda saved you that grief. Sorry to hear about that...it sucks.

StealBlueZ
    no burst panell, but there is the pop off's. (?) At least that's what I think they are. It's a Weiand Manifold. Thought that they would help protect in case of a backfire. Also, why would I need to change the pistons if I go to a tunnel ram? These areCP flat tops, 8-1.
    I think tha backfire was due to float levels too low. That and making a turn while letting off may have starved the motor. The valvess are right. Chcked & double checked........

wsuwrhr
    Also, why would I need to change the pistons if I go to a tunnel ram? These areCP flat tops, 8-1.
    Because with a blower, your static compression will be WAY lower. Hense the 8-1. An aspirated motor will be down on power if you keep that compression ratio.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    If the motor was set up right as forced induction, things such as cam timing, valve spring pressure won't be right.
    If you decide to go aspirated again, you would be better off repairing the motor and selling it, or just selling the whole thing as is and starting over IMHO.
    Brian

blowngas
    any stuck intake valves??---was this a new setup or had you run this before??----what kinda timing did u have in it??

TIMINATOR
    I have several -rams in oval and square port.I'm in the Phoenix,AZ. area. TIMINATOR TIMM 623-877-8553

Unchained
    When I bought a new blower and manifold from Hampton several years ago I noticed that he didn't put a popoff or a burst panel on the manifold.
    Don told me that they don't help and by the time the popoff lifted it was already too late and whatever damage would have already been done.
    After a couple years use my engine gave a few pops because of problems related to the Holley electric fuel pump and it caused it to break off about a 1" piece of the nylon strip on a rotor and the metal strip that retained it.
    It cost hundreds to repair and that was the last time I used a roots blower.

hondajoey
    I have several -rams in oval and square port.I'm in the Phoenix,AZ. area. TIMINATOR TIMM 623-877-8553
    Tim
    do you have and 454 motors laying around for sale?

230EAGLE
    How Bad Is The Crack Or Hole? Thought About Fixing It? How Much Are New Ones? Is The Cases Alum Or Cast Or ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast