Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backfire ='s CRACKED CASE

okiehydro
    Sorry to hear about your blower. I have an 8-71 weiand with carbs, belt, pulleys, brackets, and intake WITH A POP OFF PLATE. I originally bought it for my boat but the motor I put in it has too much compression. I need money to finish the little stuff on my boat so I will sell for 1650.00 I paid much more than that for it. Let me know if your interested in it before I put it in the trader.

StealBlueZ
    hey okie, call me at 972 768 6744
    randy

DEL51
    When I bought a new blower and manifold from Hampton several years ago I noticed that he didn't put a popoff or a burst panel on the manifold.
    Don told me that they don't help and by the time the popoff lifted it was already too late and whatever damage would have already been done.
    After a couple years use my engine gave a few pops because of problems related to the Holley electric fuel pump and it caused it to break off about a 1" piece of the nylon strip on a rotor and the metal strip that retained it.
    It cost hundreds to repair and that was the last time I used a roots blower.
    I have a pop valve, it will sneeze on the rev limiter and it works, I love the turbo setup but does it have a version of backfire protection.Rare for efi,?I can see evidence of backfire every now and again on my set up. Curios,DEL

Unchained
    Chris,
    I have a homemade popoff on the intercooler box. With a centrifugal compressor I think the air can "back up" some through the compressors at lower boost. A bigger problem is with suddenly closing the throttle bodies at high boost. It gives the pressure no where to go and it makes a real unique sound as the compressor wheels try to slow down real quick. It is not good on the equipment. After dissassembling the turbos at the end of last season I could see where the compressor wheels and the turbine wheels had slightly touched the side of the housing. I need to add a couple more popoffs ahead of the throttle bodies. They make some off the shelf units that the import car guys use. They like them to make a lot of noise between shifts. :notam:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12