Thread: oil temp

dragboat
    I have an oil temp gauge. Where does the sender fit. There is a fitting in the side of the block just forward of the oil filter that is 1\8 pipe thread. will this give a correct reading, short of welding a bung into a new chrome pan?

Nubbs
    I have my sender in the pan. However, putting the sender in the block is fine, as long as the sender doesn't block the oil flow.

RCB19
    In the pan is the best all around place for a oil temp sender. Try to place it a close to the pump pickup as possible. I am told that this is the most accurate place to take a reading.

Aluminum Squirt
    Most anywhere will work. I agree the pan is probably best. It's sort of like a bowl pressure gauge, everybody's numbers will be different but its all relative and once you get some numbers they can help you from cooking anything. I have mine right after the cooler so it lets me know what the oil temp is as it comes back to the motor. Some people have said that it would be better before the cooler....? Who cares, like I said above, its all relative, put it in there and get used to what your cruise temp is, your WOT temp is etc and then you have a benchmark for if anything is wrong-Aluminum Squirt