Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Service Engine Soon!

Froggystyle
    Ok folks... This is for all of you GM techs. (Ford guys... I don't wanna hear about it.. )
    I have a Duramax 2wd Alison in a 2002 Chevy Silverado. I have a Bassani Exhaust, Edge Performance/Diesel Dynamics Juice and Attitude and a K&N KIPK. The truck just turned 39K.
    I am a nazi about maintenance, and do the oil, fuel filter, rear end and tranny oil regularly. I just got this Service Engine soon light lit though, and it appears to have really degraded my performance. When you floor it, there is no big black smoke any more on level 5/5 and it certainly doesn't pull as hard.
    Any way to pull a code, or reset the light without a dealership visit? Nothing on the truck is warrantied with the C-notched rear frame and engine mods, and I fear they will see me coming on a bill.
    Help please!

WUTWZAT
    Trust me your better of with the GM, but besides that, most local auto parts stores will put a scanner on your truck these days and pull your codes in hopes of selling you parts. Try an Auto Zone for example.
    Resetting your light, I am not model specific on this but to reset the codes and check engine light, most time all you need to do is disconnect the negative battery terminal post, and then insert the key and turn the key and hold it in the backwards accs position of 10+ seconds. You will feel that you can hold it turned backwards a little more than it will normally sit on its own. Also some times their may be a sequece of turn the key backwards hold for 10 seconds and turn the key as if you were starting it for 10 seconds and then turn all the way backagain for 10 seconds. I would advise a web search on the topic you'd be surprised by what you can find. Id search "duramax check engine code reset 2002" or something similar.
    Good luck, at least its just a light, my ford blew the spark plugs outta the heads like a speedfreak spits out teeth. But I would definatley try and get the codes pulled before resetting them, the little chain stores do it for free in hopes of selling you those parts.
    Jason

Kachina26
    Go to autozone and get the code, DO NOT LET THEM CLEAR IT!!! There may be diagnostic information saved that will help the tech that works on your truck if we can't get it figured out here. When you get the code, post it and I'll check it out. I have access to all the info I need here at home.

Infomaniac
    Is this the engine under the hood or the twin turbo engine in the bed?

Beer-30
    Don't sweat the warranty stuff. Mine is notched and has headers, K&N, MSD, and they don't even question it. When mine was under warranty, it went in for a coolant leak at the intake manifold. They pulled the intake and ended up dropping a bolt down the intake passage. Fired it and broke a piston. They pulled the head and put a new piston in. Never squaked about the headers or anything.

Kachina26
    Nothing on the truck is warrantied with the C-notched rear frame and engine mods, and I fear they will see me coming on a bill.
    Help please!
    Plenty of your warranty remains. Unless the manufacturer can prove that the modification was a direct cause of the failure, they cannot deny the warranty claim. If a glowplug relay failed, then it would be a warrantable item and would cost far more to fight than to fix if you pushed the issue.

tahitijet
    I agree.. they can only void portions of your warranty directly related to your modifcation. for example you say you have a notch so your lowered. obviously your suspesnion and frame warrantys are toast, but the rest of your warranty is intact. If your service light isn't a direct result of something you modified they have to warranty it.. They will most likely try to tell you otherwise but fact is they have to. SEMA can be your friend in these matters.
    One item I know you may have trouble with is on gas motors GM is not warranting those commen tranny issues in the 03,04,05 model trucks if you have a K&N filter. something about the oil in the filter clogging the MAS and causing the tranny to act up.

Froggystyle
    Go to autozone and get the code, DO NOT LET THEM CLEAR IT!!! There may be diagnostic information saved that will help the tech that works on your truck if we can't get it figured out here. When you get the code, post it and I'll check it out. I have access to all the info I need here at home.
    Thanks. I will see if I can squeak out of here and get the code pulled.
    Keep in mind, this is not a check engine light, but a Service Engine Soon light.
    I suspect that one of the service intervals for the fuel filter or otherwise has come and gone and even though I did the majority of the recommended service in the manual and then some I didn't reset the computer when I did it. I read about the "Change Oil Soon" light reset and did that one.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Wes

Kachina26
    Thanks. I will see if I can squeak out of here and get the code pulled.
    Keep in mind, this is not a check engine light, but a Service Engine Soon light.
    I suspect that one of the service intervals for the fuel filter or otherwise has come and gone and even though I did the majority of the recommended service in the manual and then some I didn't reset the computer when I did it. I read about the "Change Oil Soon" light reset and did that one.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Wes
    "Service Engine Soon" is a misnomer and I hate it. The ses light is a malfunction indicator and has no relation to maintenance.

Steamin' Rice
    Sorry to hijack, but I have a 2001 2500HD with the 8.1L/Allison combo and my SES light is also on.. I pulled the code using a scanner from autozone and it is a cam shaft position sensor error.. Any ideas? I guess I'll take it in to the dealer to get it checked out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast