Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Service Engine Soon!

Kachina26
    Sorry to hijack, but I have a 2001 2500HD with the 8.1L/Allison combo and my SES light is also on.. I pulled the code using a scanner from autozone and it is a cam shaft position sensor error.. Any ideas? I guess I'll take it in to the dealer to get it checked out. Are you sure it's a cam positon error? We've had 2 crank position ones this week on the 8.1 . What is the code # ?

charlyox
    Is the light orange or red?
    You probably overboosted the turbo. And from what it sounds like, he spun the Allison! You should never run the Juice on level 5 under heavy loads like those that would produce the heavy black smoke he mentions. Hope he has another $4000 to repair and upgrade the Allison to handle all the power he beat her with!

Froggystyle
    Is the light orange or red?
    He probably overboosted the turbo. And from what it sounds like, he spun the Allison! You should never run the Juice on level 5 under heavy loads like those that would produce the heavy black smoke he mentions. Hope he has another $4000 to repair and upgrade the Allison to handle all the power he beat her with!

Orange.
    The juice limits the output in an EGT parameter, boost parameter and shift strength. I don't think the tranny is any worse for wear as the light has been on a while now (hoping the light would reset after sorting itself out) and short of the black smoke now gone, I still have 20+ pounds of boost at full throttle. The tranny oil looked cherry as well. The truck is a damn rocket on #5, but I never tow with it there. Too much smoke for the boat. Not to mention I still get in excess of 24 mpg commuting. It is not like it is slamming gears or anything.
    Not to mention, I know an Alison guy...
    I think it is likely a glitch caused by the computer and being referrenced and attended to by the Juice. I suspect that when my inlet air temp sensor (I think that is what it is... sensor in the intake tube) got loose and fell off for a couple of days it triggered something. For some reason, the screws just do not stay tight on those with the FIPK kit. It is now loctited and zip tied in place for safekeeping.
    I will try to find the code.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Steamin' Rice
    Are you sure it's a cam positon error? We've had 2 crank position ones this week on the 8.1 . What is the code # ?
    I'll have to double check to get you the code#, but I'm pretty sure it was cam position error.

Kachina26
    Orange.
    The juice limits the output in an EGT parameter, boost parameter and shift strength. I don't think the tranny is any worse for wear as the light has been on a while now (hoping the light would reset after sorting itself out) and short of the black smoke now gone, I still have 20+ pounds of boost at full throttle. The tranny oil looked cherry as well. The truck is a damn rocket on #5, but I never tow with it there. Too much smoke for the boat. Not to mention I still get in excess of 24 mpg commuting. It is not like it is slamming gears or anything.
    I think it is likely a glitch caused by the computer and being referrenced and attended to by the Juice. I suspect that when my inlet air temp sensor (I think that is what it is... sensor in the intake tube) got loose and fell off for a couple of days it triggered something. For some reason, the screws just do not stay tight on those with the FIPK kit. It is now loctited and zip tied in place for safekeeping.
    I will try to find the code.
    Thanks,
    Wes
    So, what is the code?

Froggystyle
    So, what is the code?
    Still at work. I am installing the oil cooler and the water line plumbing in the Revolution now for a hopefull water test this week when the diverters get installed.
    Exhaust is done now, but was a nightmare. All hand fabbed flanges and stuff. Kind of takes all of the fun out of it making flanges from flat plate!
    Just some stuff to send to powdercoat and install and we are off to the lake.
    I will post the code sometime this week hopefully.
    Thanks again,
    Wes

mickeyfinn
    Found this on another site. Might be your problem:
    My 2002 Duramax recently started getting poor fuel mileage (12) but runs great. I just got it back from the dealer and learned about GM Document ID#1468758. Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon Light ON as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter (I have a K&N Filter in the OEM air box). It basically says, The oil that is used on these filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.
    When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.
    Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.
    My dealers engine scan with the tech two gave code P0101 Mass Air Flow Low Sensor code set 456 miles ago. Which is about when my mileage dropped. I was also informed my injectors checked out good.
    My K&N Filter (which is still clean) has been on my truck for 30,000 miles before this happened. The dealer cleaned my MAF and installed a new AC Delco Air Filter.
    I was advised this work was not warrantable and to complete a fuel mileage test with the cleaned MAF and new factory filter. Labor 65.00, Parts 18.54, Tax 4.60, Total 88.14. I will updated after my fuel mileage test.

Kachina26
    Still at work. I am installing the oil cooler and the water line plumbing in the Revolution now for a hopefull water test this week when the diverters get installed.
    Exhaust is done now, but was a nightmare. All hand fabbed flanges and stuff. Kind of takes all of the fun out of it making flanges from flat plate!
    Just some stuff to send to powdercoat and install and we are off to the lake.
    I will post the code sometime this week hopefully.
    Thanks again,
    Wes
    That boat looks awesome! What kind of speeds are you expecting to see? Also, was IMCO's split box in Powerboat Magazine a ripoff of your idea, or is this something that has been done before?

Jordy
    Wow, me too. He gave me a lifetime warranty on my tranny.

Kachina26
    Wow, me too. He gave me a lifetime warranty on my tranny.
    Good for the life of the tranny?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast