Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vinylester resin--HELP!

e-ticket
    Since alot of you have done your own restorations, am posting this here.
    Just layed down new glass on my floor using vinylester resin. Am having trouble sanding it. It is gumming up the paper. Seems to be fine once you get thru the top. Acts like there is a wax like substance on the top. Does this sound right? Should I be washing it with something before sanding to remove this?

sneed
    Since alot of you have done your own restorations, am posting this here.
    Just layed down new glass on my floor using vinylester resin. Am having trouble sanding it. It is gumming up the paper. Seems to be fine once you get thru the top. Acts like there is a wax like substance on the top. Does this sound right? Should I be washing it with something before sanding to remove this?
    Did you add wax to it?If not you need to on the final coat so the paper doesnt gum up.

olbiezer
    hey eticket call mike at 407671 6179 hes working after 12 eastern today he can tell ya all about fiberglass work.

e-ticket
    Ron, I tried Mike, but he wasn't in yet. Wasn't told about adding wax. The plan was to lay my own glass and sand it, then take the boat back for final color coat and clear. This stuff shines like a final coat. Can I just put another coat on without sanding and and recoat it with wax, then sand?

olbiezer
    i know nothing of fiberglass work sorry mike said he would be in today later about 2 hours from now.its noon centeral.

Kurtis500
    Your resin has no waxing agent in it. The gummy surface is designed to allow another layer of resin to 'burn' into the layer you already put down. Two things you can do. Get some waxing agent and put in in your resin then put another thin coat on. Or put another coat on and spray PVA on top to give a surface cure. I prefer the PVA route. If you try to sand through the gummy portion you will get frustrated long before your done. A mist coat of resin from a spray gun will cover it up enough.
    That resin will shine up just fine. No need for a clear coat after a fresh smooth layer of resin.

e-ticket
    So, if I go ahead and put another coat on with my tint and waxing agent, it should be okay for a final coat? Or should I put on another coat with tint and then spray final coat with pva over the top?

Kurtis500
    So, if I go ahead and put another coat on with my tint and waxing agent, it should be okay for a final coat? Or should I put on another coat with tint and then spray final coat with pva over the top?
    I'm not sure what tint you are talking about. Is it a coloring agent? You can load the gun and spray a final coat with a waxing agent in it. That will be the last coat down. Or you can spray a coat and spray PVA over it. Either way will work.

e-ticket
    Yes, a coloring agent. I want to have yellow and black in my floor,

coolchange
    vinylester? why not poly? Is that for fuel resistance? Not bashin, just askin...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast