A couple of hours after this mornings rude wake-up call I began to wonder.
How many of my friends were prepared for a huge earthquake or other emergency (terrorist attack much greater thatn 9-11)
As far as earthquakes go, the experts say it's not a matter of IF the big one hits, but, WHEN it hits.
I'd been a fireman for 21 years. It's taught me to be prepared both on and off duty. My emergency kit at home is pretty extensive.
At the risk of sounding like your daddy I gotta ask. Are you prepared as best you can be to take care of yourself and your family for days on end in the event of a disaster?
It's no secret that any large scale disaster will deplete all emergency crews' resources. Fire departments and PD's will be handling large incidents such as any public building, power/water facilties, schools etc. We/they won't have the time or probably won't even know about you and your family's needs for some time.
Basically, plan on being you're on your own for a while. May sound harsh, but, it's reality.
There are lots of websites available that give good basic guidlines for emergency preparedness. If you want any guidance look on the web, or PM me ao any other fireman on the boards. Glad to help.