Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question for wake boarders.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    we are going to try and teach our kids how to wake board this year and wanted to know if any of you found an easier way to show them while still being safe in the water. The way I was tought I am not to thrilled about because of safety issues with other boats around. how did you show your kids. :wink:

CrazyHippy
    get to the right speed and throw them over they'll learn :devil:
    Actually i've always done it from in the water. it's easier w/ another boat hanging around, so when the kid pops up, you have a place to go, and aren't sitting around.
    BJH

MRS FLYIN VEE
    get to the right speed and throw them over they'll learn :devil:
    Actually i've always done it from in the water. it's easier w/ another boat hanging around, so when the kid pops up, you have a place to go, and aren't sitting around.
    BJH
    LMAO!! throw them over..
    that is an idea I like the other boat around idea. thank you.

cole13
    How old are they? You can teach them just like you teach an adult. Just go slower. in the beginning just idle and let them get the feel for the board. Then slowly bring the boat up to speed. It really truly comes down to the driver, when teaching. There is no need to get in the water with them and hold the board. It can be done with out doing that.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    How old are they? You can teach them just like you teach an adult. Just go slower. in the beginning just idle and let them get the feel for the board. Then slowly bring the boat up to speed. It really truly comes down to the driver, when teaching. There is no need to get in the water with them and hold the board. It can be done with out doing that.
    my girl is 10 and my boy is 11. my girl I don't think will have a problem. it's our son I worry about. I don't think he will be able to pull himself out of the water . he is a little heavy and we are working on that. :shift:

cole13
    The best way to describe it for me, is to tell them that once the boat starts moving sit on your ankles. THis should pop them right up and then all they have to do is find the balance and stand up. They will most likely be going sideways at this point. But that does not matter, get them to just stand up on the board for few seconds, then work on everything else latter. Do they waterski? Also, it has nothing to do with weight, the board that they are using should support an adult so why not a kid. I have also found in teaching someone to board, Do not yell, or give to many directions, they just get confused then give up. Make it fun, by saying you almost had that one etc..
    Just my opinion!
    P.S. The driver has to roll the throttle very slowly. It is not like pulling up an adult. If we ever meet at the river, I will give a shot to teaching. I have yet to have a failure. And yes I take pride in that! hahaha

MRS FLYIN VEE
    The best way to describe it for me, is to tell them that once the boat starts moving sit on your ankles. THis should pop them right up and then all they have to do is find the balance and stand up. They will most likely be going sideways at this point. But that does not matter, get them to just stand up on the board for few seconds, then work on everything else latter. Do they waterski? Also, it has nothing to do with weight, the board that they are using should support an adult so why not a kid. I have also found in teaching someone to board, Do not yell, or give to many directions, they just get confused then give up. Make it fun, by saying you almost had that one etc..
    Just my opinion!
    P.S. The driver has to roll the throttle very slowly. It is not like pulling up an adult. If we ever meet at the river, I will give a shot to teaching. I have yet to have a failure. And yes I take pride in that! hahaha
    wow great pointers.. thank you.. and no the kids have never waterskied . just tubed a few times.. I am a skier but I have never tought anyone how to ski. I just remember my dad throwing me in the water with one ski and popping out of the water. it was natural for me I guess.
    I will keep all the poiters in mind . thank you very much.

XTRM22
    Everybody is giving you good pointers, it'll be easier for them to learn behind you wakeboarding boat since the tower (or pole) naturally is pulling you up besides forward. If you bring the wake boat here to Havasu I'll gladdly be the second boat and help coach, particularly for a couple rides behind the boat on my wakeboard!
    Chuck

MRS FLYIN VEE
    Everybody is giving you good pointers, it'll be easier for them to learn behind you wakeboarding boat since the tower (or pole) naturally is pulling you up besides forward. If you bring the wake boat here to Havasu I'll gladdly be the second boat and help coach, particularly for a couple rides behind the boat on my wakeboard!
    Chuck
    you got it. and thanks.

mbrown2
    Go call Mike Mac's in Parker and get them lessons...I don't think he has a shop anymore, but I thought you could still do lessons....I would definitely go the professional instructor route...
    When I learned how to ski when I was 7...somebody unprofessional sat in the water with me for over 30min....and I was pretty athletic...the trainers already know of the tricks and they get the children familiar with all of the safety, gear, how to put it on take it off...kind of like classroom before you get in the boat...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast