Thread: Don't throw away your WJ!

beached1
    I was under the belief that all Jacuzzi's are piles of crap. Even though mine was a mixed flow, I was fixing to get a WJ energizer kit for my boat this winter. I have a lot of experience with PWC jets and a pretty good working knowledge of what makes them work. So, I decided to mess with mine to see what I could do since I was changing it out anyway. I chucked the bowl up in my Lathe and started to bore out the nozzle because I'm using a Place diverter. As most of you know, this comes with an adapter that bolts onto the diverter and the four bolt pattern of the WJ bowl. The problem is that the Place diverter IS the nozzle for any other aplication, but the WJ has a nozzle that is part of the cast of the bowl. Therefore, when you bolt on a Place Diveter to a stock WJ, you are seriously affecting the efficiency of you jet drive system. After I bored the bowl, I fabricated a stuffer out of billet aluminum.It was then I realized that I may be in way over my head. I have read many positive things about a Jet pump shop called MPD from people I have never met but respect their opinions based on their posts/replys in this forum. So I decided to take it to MPD to see what they think of my pump and what I should do. I was very pleased to hear that Jacuzzi WJ's aren't as bad as many people think. Jack told me that a slightly modified WJ can be as efficient as any of the other mixed flow pumps out on the market. In fact, he confirmed my suspicion that the impeller was the main flaw of the design.
    MPD had the pump done exactly when they said it would be done. I can appreciate that. I work for the phone company but do a lot of side work for a friend that has his own PWC jet pump racing shop similar to MPD. I can appreciate how hard it is to get something done in time for some joe blow in the peak of the season when you have sponsored racers calling you daily with changes, People on the phone wanting free advice, etc. MPD was very professional.
    I got the oportunity to see what Jack had done to my impeller and watch him assemble it. That was cool! I don't know how many shops that will let you do that. Jack let me watch. He completely changed the design of my impeller.
    The Test:
    I took it to the Polio Pond last sat for a test run. Let me just say first that my boat is a pile of crap. I bought it empty and put it together myself. I wanted to get into the Big Jet boat world the hard way. I like to see what makes things work. If I were to buy a brand new boat, I wouldn't have an idea of what I was doing until a blew up the engine or something. Therefore, I decided to by a pile, (boy did I) and see if I could put something together that would eventualy be a nice ride. So with that said, I took My 20.5 open bow Omega with a 454 BBC, Large Oval port, LS7 cam, Roller rockers, HEI, Torker II/w 750 Demon, piece of shit, out with my new pump. I know this this is getting way long winded, so I'll just say this, Awesome. Thanks Jack.

Hallett19
    beached, how many zero's are missing off the back of your bank account statment now ?

beached1

GL360
    Had my WJ impeller completely reworked, beautifully I might add, at MPD for significantly less than it would have cost for a new WJ impeller and also a fair amount less than a new impeller (aluminum) for the Berkley and clones. Oh, and the donuts are great!

beached1
    Bitch! I didn't get any. Where were they?