Thread: Header question

RECORD7JET
    Is there anything bad about using Stainless Steel headers over regular chromed steel headers? Other than just the price difference between the two.
    Would a polished set of SS headers last long without needing to be polished again? I ask because I haven't had much expeaience with stainless over mild steel tubing & I thought I'd make my self a set of SS headers for my next motor thats going in the boat next year. Unless its a bad Idea.

RCB19
    SS headers will last longer but it's hard to keep then shinny. SS likes to brown out with even the slightest heat.

RECORD7JET
    So do you know if it takes even more water through the SS headers to keep from browning? Versus the amount of water needed for regular chromed steel headers to keep from bluing. Or would it be less or the same?
    Does it happen faster than chrome turning blue? If it takes the same amount of water & time to turn brown as chrome turning blue. Then polishing them back to a good shine once or twice a season may be fine.
    But if it takes more water than the performance loss wouldn't make it worth it.
    Would it be the whole header turning brown or the same amount of the header as the chrome turning blue?

RCB19
    Cant really tell you the science of the SS headers but all of them that I have seen looked crappy. I would say that the only advantage to having them would be the non rusting abillity over steel. You dont see many SS headers around. If I were you I would have your steel headers ceramic coated. I just had a set done and they look very nice. The place that coated them also applied a copper coating to the inside of the tubes to help keep the heat inside the headers and ward off the tendancy to rust out.

RECORD7JET
    OK, but the SS is supposed to run a little cooler than steel, right? That's what I was told. So If they run cooler even by just a small amount. Then getting a set of SS headers ceramic coated would be even cooler running, correct? Plus never rusting out.
    I have a set of Rewarder header that are ceramic coated & they are rusting. Even though they were coated on the inside. Any business (chrome or ceramic coaters) can say the do the inside. But I have verified from a few coating places. That since they cant see every spot inside the tubes. They can't tell if they got every spot & with most business speed would win over going the extra mile to make sure.

moneysucker
    Look in the Petrofied moneysucke quack attack thread here in just jets and see where lickity split posted pix of his motor in his living room probably 2-3 pages from the last page. Those SS headers are over 25 years old and still look good. I would take SS in a heart beat.
    Cy

RECORD7JET
    Sucker,
    Did he have to polish them very often? Or not that big a deal to mantain?

RECORD7JET
    I would say that the only advantage to having them would be the non rusting abillity over steel.
    If I were you I would have your steel headers ceramic coated.
    I can make them with SS & ceramic coat them for much less than the cost of regular steel headers uncoated. So I'll probably go that route. But if there were a chance to just have the polished SS look & stay looking nice then thats even better.

atxwrangler
    where can i get headers like likity splits?nice! :skull: