Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: first v-bottom boats with stepped hulls?

ECeptor
    No, I meant without. I think the performance difference (economy or speed...take your pick) is undeniable
    I'll admit I have a fraction of the throttle time you guys have but most everything I've read shows there are a minority of boats with stepped hulls but those that do have good handling (especially when trimmed properly in the corners) and provide more speed with equal power.
    We've had a thread on the safety issue before and there seemed to be a lot of happy, safe stepped hull owners out there.

dicudmore
    No, I meant without. I think the performance difference (economy or speed...take your pick) is undeniable
    I'll admit I have a fraction of the throttle time you guys have but most everything I've read shows there are a minority of boats with stepped hulls but those that do have good handling (especially when trimmed properly in the corners) and provide more speed with equal power.
    We've had a thread on the safety issue before and there seemed to be a lot of happy, safe stepped hull owners out there.
    there are some nice stepped-bottom boats out there that run and ride well... I've driven a couple I liked.
    I've heard of some that aren't so friendly also.
    Dan <---- does not have a stepped hull

Eliminator 4 Life
    huh? Is that a tunnel that comes to a V in the front like the Hallett 260AC, the old Eliminator Edge (I think they called it that?) and or the 23/24' Cheetahs??
    You are right its the edge

Eliminator 4 Life
    there are some nice stepped-bottom boats out there that run and ride well... I've driven a couple I liked.
    I've heard of some that aren't so friendly also.
    Dan <---- does not have a stepped hull
    Not to brag or anything I got two steps in my 26 and that thing rides pretty damn nice and I have ridden in a few boats :rollside:

dirty old man
    Steve Stepp talked down the step bottom hulls for years. He finally relented but said it had to be done right. Not all of them were done right and there have been some "incidents". Naturally the reason they work all the time on float planes is that they always go in a straight line. Some aren't meant to bank into a tight turn trimmed correctly or not. If you want to see the latest innovation of the stepped bottom look at only two boats: The Phantoms out of Florida and the 40 Hallett out of California

dicudmore
    Not to brag or anything I got two steps in my 26 and that thing rides pretty damn nice and I have ridden in a few boats :rollside:
    yeah I'm still waiting for my demo ride on that thing...
    you have ridden in a few boats, esp. when you leave yours in T-town and just hop on anything with an open seat and a full cooler... Dan <--- maybe just jealous

Eliminator 4 Life
    yeah I'm still waiting for my demo ride on that thing...
    you have ridden in a few boats, esp. when you leave yours in T-town and just hop on anything with an open seat and a full cooler... Dan <--- maybe just jealous
    Damn Dan you got me all figured out it saves me a hour of driving and I dont have to drive 70 I can drive 80 plus. plus I dont want to have to buy 6 tires anytime soon :idea:

ECeptor
    Steve Stepp talked down the step bottom hulls for years. He finally relented but said it had to be done right. Not all of them were done right and there have been some "incidents". Naturally the reason they work all the time on float planes is that they always go in a straight line. Some aren't meant to bank into a tight turn trimmed correctly or not. If you want to see the latest innovation of the stepped bottom look at only two boats: The Phantoms out of Florida and the 40 Hallett out of California
    Here's another to look at. Seems to be one of the more efficient v-bottom hulls out there. http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80029

scarabrick2
    I believe SCARAB was teh first. Larry Smith to be exact.

ECeptor
    I believe SCARAB was teh first. Larry Smith to be exact.
    What year and model?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast