Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodward fatalities

johnnie jetboat
    Just a word to the wise.
    While watching the news last night, I saw one of those things that us boaters hate to see.
    A guy, his wife and his sister in law went out on Woodward(a small resevior near Manteca) for the first ride in his 'new' jet boat(a typical 18 footer w/454 he had bought the day before). Several witnesses said he was driving eraticly.
    He found himself heading for a Bayliner and turned hard to port, but he forgot one important detail. He let off the throttle, causing the boat and his passengers heads to collide with the Bayliner. Both passengers were killed instantly. The guy even admited to knowing about the total lack of control without the throttle.
    Please guys, Pay attention to where you are, where ALL the other boats are and never get out of the throttle during a panic situation.
    PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
    I don't enjoy seeing these reports on the news and I'm sure none of you would either!

RiverDave
    You should post that in the Jet vs SternDrive argument going on. It seems that the lack of control when off the throttle really wasn't that big of a deal and somehow JetBoats now have breaks by slaming them in reverse.
    RiverDave

mister460
    I've had to use my reverse as a brake once. My fault but it saved me from banging up another boat. Was just above idle and was lokking behind me(bad idea) as some girl was trying to get in a wetsuit and almost t-boned a Bayliner. I simply threw it and reverse and gave her some juice and I just stopped dead. Wasn't going more than a few mph but it still made me appreciate the ability to stop instantly.

turbo
    my 19 foot sleekcraft has a rudder that came with the place diverter, and it works, not like the throttle, but half is better than not at all.

rivercrazy
    My AT-309 has the large rudder and it actually works OK until your speed is below 57-mph. Of course it wouldn't turn like a V-Drive or Stern Drive without power but it does work somewhat.

rivercrazy
    Oops thats 5-7 mph

Rivertoys_com
    I know a guy that nailed the gas & slammed his jetboat into reverse at about 40mph just for fun, because he heard it was "cool". He no longer thinks it's cool and doesn't advise anyone to try it. But an emergency is different, you gotta do what you gotta do. I think it's a last ditch thing and shouldn't be practiced.

spectras only
    If you have a bowrider I would be careful with full reverse http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif,you may find yourself in a bathtub.Closed deck boats with freeboard are pretty safe to stop up to 35MPH with reverse,you may only get some wash coming over the reverse windshields.Better than hit someone's boat!

GOT WATER ??
    One Moron, Is worth a thousand new laws!
    I am really sorry to say this but maybe we need to have a test like the DMV so less people are killed.
    Don't get me wrong I am the last one that would really want this, but what else do we do.
    Hell if I have to take my boat to the lake and prove that I can operate it I will be the first to go.
    There are alot of people that have the money to buy a boat, but when they put it in the water they are a hazard to everyone.
    Sorry about the rant.
    I will step down off the box.
    Kelly
    [This message has been edited by GOT WATER ?? (edited July 10, 2001).]

Cas42
    hey Kelly
    Amen!
    After watching the idiots over Memorial Day weekend, I posted something similar to what you just said. There really needs to be some sort of test before a boat is purchased. They should also include some instruction on the towing laws.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast