Thread: Gibson Muffler update...Performance results.

Bryan Rose
    Well I gotthe mufflers installed over the weekend
    MOTOR -468 BBC 10-1 C/R and lightning headers...
    the results
    had a chance to run them to see how they work, well more quiet than I thought they would be. At idle is much more tollerable than open 4 inch tips.
    Some observations about the sound of the set up now, as I said idle sound is low and really sounds pretty good. I was surprised that it was still loud but not bad. I could actually hear things in the motor I could not hear before, not bad things but just more in tune with the motor. When nailing it out of the hole sound is good and mellow up to about 4000 Revs and then it seems like the sound doubles, and up over 5000 revs it sounds totally different than open tips, not bad but different , almost metalic sounding.....very weird but I don't think it is a problem. Maybe some with the mufflers can tell me if that is normal. I am going to try and get a sound clip next time out.
    Some things I noticed about the product itself is that they are well made and seem to be of great quality, the rolled edge on the tip looks nice but it seems it would hold water when finished with the trip. The mounting flange is a little smaller than the REX 4' tips I removed leaving a small but very noticable ring aroung the new tips, this is where a bezel would come in handy, also the countersinking for the mounting bolts is smaller in diameter than the Rex tips...so my pan head bolts are not flush with the mounting flange, yet ... I am going to get some new ones though.
    Overall very happy with the set up, and don't get me wrong I love the sound of an uncorked big block but I think I will enjoy my boating on the weekends with my wife and friends more now that I will not be shouting over the motor when cruising around.Stealth mode is a good thing , for sure!
    And by the way it looks like I lost about 50-100 RPMS and my top speed on motor alone with no juice and glass water...............78.6 GPS Muffled, I need to work some more on my set up and get back my couple of MPH ....I think I am going to go to a 2* wedge instead of a 4 * wedge.
    So in closing ...........................Great product! and I am happy.
    Bryan

szokejohn2
    Yea, thats one thing I noticed .when I put the mufflers on the top end rpm came down around 200 rpm.I dont mind too much because it sounds much more quite.I believe my motor is set up to run 5200 rpm and now its a little lower buy I can live with it.If im in the cove or by myself ,i'll take them off