Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water pumps

Animal Magnatism
    Hi all,
    Does a water pump used in a boat have to be self priming? What about when a standard pump is used (454 Chev) Are they self priming?
    What do you guys use? I was looking at getting a CSR pump but don't want to waste my money if it isn't going to work.
    Thanks
    Paul

infotraker
    I use the magnaflow pump, heavy duty and really good (on both boats). I used to run the smaller neovine pump but switched for more volume. CP performance in Ca sells the pump. It runs off the cam shaft - bolts to the end with a drive fitting.

A standard automotive water pump & a csr racing pump are designed for closed systems. They will not self prime. The neovane & magna flow are self priming, thats what you need for an open system.

SANGER-RICH
    A standard automotive water pump & a csr racing pump are designed for closed systems. They will not self prime. The neovane & magna flow are self priming, thats what you need for an open system.
    I have a Magnaflow and put a new impeler in it, My question is What do you lube it with or do you need to?? Still new to all this v-drive stuff bit I Love It. :idea:

I usually just use a little bearing grease.

pebo
    Sorry if i'm jacking the thread, but i put a new impeller in my neovane about six months ago. (Dry) went to start it up for the first time and no water. take it apart and the vanes are chewed off. what gives? should i have lube it before?

Animal Magnatism
    Thanks for the replies. It seems the only self priming pumps are cam or belt driven. I need an electric. Am going to mount my current pump down lower. Hopefully should work then.
    Pebo: A silly question maybe, but did you check that it turned freely 360° before running it?
    Paul

sgdiv7
    [QUOTE= I need an electric. Am going to mount my current pump down lower. Hopefully should work then.
    Paul[/QUOTE]
    It will work as long as the incoming line starts below the water line and ends at the water pump which will have to be below the water line also. In addition no part of the incoming water line can ever go above the water line because it will never self prime.

GofastRacer
    I have a Magnaflow and put a new impeler in it, My question is What do you lube it with or do you need to?? Still new to all this v-drive stuff bit I Love It. :idea:
    Never run them dry, you'll cook the impellor in 30 seconds, I use Marvel but WD works as long as you don't use the spray, the propellant eats up the impellor!..

GofastRacer
    Sorry if i'm jacking the thread, but i put a new impeller in my neovane about six months ago. (Dry) went to start it up for the first time and no water. take it apart and the vanes are chewed off. what gives? should i have lube it before?
    Yep you screwed up, never run them dry!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast