Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 496?

dexman38
    i will drive there tommorow and pick one up thanks. it looks like i will be working on the boat tis weekend.

franky
    then when you hit something you take a bigger chance of taking out something in the outdrive also. keep that in mindif you have the plastic hub just check it every now and then, if it looks cracked/damaged replace it. I am assuming you have a fairly stock type boat.
    also I was told by someone who has done the test/calculations that for each 28 pounds of added weight, you need 12 more horsepower to maintain speed, that would be 300 more HP.
    opinions, rumor and my 0.02

INSman
    F Y I
    There is a fairly well known problem with some of the 2003 and 2004 Bravo drives, hooked up to Merc 496's that you should also be aware of.
    Prior to selling my 2004 DANA, I took the boat in for a 50 hr. service, just so the buyer was starting fresh. Long story short, Merc picked up the tab for repairs to the drive resulting from leaky bellows that caused u-joint rust and such, to the tune of $1,300. This was while the motor and drive were past the 1 year warranty period.
    For precautionary measures if not already done so, I would have the 100 hr. service done and make sure they pull the drive.

Kilrtoy
    all brass where can i get that west marine
    Come on DEX are you serious.....
    WEST MARINE...
    You dont own a bayliner......

GHTRIM
    F Y I
    There is a fairly well known problem with some of the 2003 and 2004 Bravo drives, hooked up to Merc 496's that you should also be aware of.
    Prior to selling my 2004 DANA, I took the boat in for a 50 hr. service, just so the buyer was starting fresh. Long story short, Merc picked up the tab for repairs to the drive resulting from leaky bellows that caused u-joint rust and such, to the tune of $1,300. This was while the motor and drive were past the 1 year warranty period.
    For precautionary measures if not already done so, I would have the 100 hr. service done and make sure they pull the drive.
    Gettin mine looked at... :wink:

bigkatboat
    Look at the added weight and the engine compartment temp! Mercs run FAT, that is how they give you the 1 year warranty. If you had temps, over 175 degrees (F) in the motor box, the motor would run FAT. Your motor will always run better in the cool of the morning, and 'drag it's ass' in the late afternoon heat.

desertbird
    I never paid much attention to the difference, but UP River with a pitot, you'd read faster, since you were going against the current. DOWN river you'd read slower.
    Traveling on a moving body of water....like airspeed vs. groundspeed. Does that make any sense?

shadow
    Look at the added weight and the engine compartment temp! Mercs run FAT, that is how they give you the 1 year warranty. If you had temps, over 175 degrees (F) in the motor box, the motor would run FAT. Your motor will always run better in the cool of the morning, and 'drag it's ass' in the late afternoon heat.
    They also run a closed cooling system and a thermostat.So pretty sure it wasn't running hot.Not to mention the water in Mojave is cold! I'd go with the added weight those are some big boys!

atomickitn
    Swap out that completely useless black plastic sleeve and get the brass one
    not brass/// it' s a solid hub, never use a plastic hub on a big block

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123