Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Whats the worst water conditions you've been in?

Mardonzi
    Lake Powell here,,, July of 2002. The airport at Page was clocking the wind at 70 m.p.h. The waves on Padre Bay there were 6'+ that day,,, Not a fun experience for someone in a smaller boat. There were approximately 20 boats sunk on the lake that afternoon....

BROADMINDED
    Damn

moneypit
    It was 1970 something( I was a little guy). We had the place at Havasu Landing and Grandpa loaded about 10 of us into the boat and we went across the lake to the Nautical for dinner. After it got dark a monsoon came in and it was so big and bad that boats were being sunk while tied up to the docks. I remember seeing boats being thrown on TOP of the docks. We had the new and fresh 24' Cambell. He didnt want to leave it tied up to the dock because it was going to sink or get ruined.
    I remember grandpa telling everyone to get their life jackets on because we were not staying there. He said, "were going across the lake".... I will never forget that trip across the lake that night, It was pitch black out.. (not very many lights in Havasu City back then). All the women and children were down in the cabin and freaked out. The swells were huge and they were getting drenched outside the cabin.
    I dont know exactly how big the waves were. But to this day my uncles and grandmother says it was the biggest storn that we had ever dealt with on that lake.

nodigg
    That's an easy question...DILLIGAF's House in Bullhead before he settled down! No water to be found anywhere, nothing but BUD-LITE!

lucky
    when i was caught by my pocket dialed cell phone - talking about how the girl on the ramp was hot and i'd lick her from head to toe !
    that would be the worst hot water conditions ever :squiggle:

Wake Havasu
    So what's the best course of action when its gets rough with heavy swells on a lake?
    tie up?
    Or go to cove?
    And what’s Powell like in late June?

AzLakeLizard
    So what's the best course of action when its gets rough with heavy swells on a lake?
    tie up?
    Or go to cove?
    And what’s Powell like in late June?
    Well we are always advised to head for a Canyon/Cove and wait it out because out in the open areas it is just like a washing machine! The waves bouncing off the cliff walls and reverberating back.. what a mish mash that makes!
    Right now we are 92 degrees outside, sunny and a small breeze .. most of the time in Late June the weather is great!.. but there are always those storms that sneak up on you..

Wake Havasu
    [QUOTE=AzLakeLizard]Well we are always advised to head for a Canyon/Cove and wait it out because out in the open areas it is just like a washing machine! The waves bouncing off the cliff walls and reverberating back.. what a mish mash that makes!
    Thank you for your rapid reply!
    Cove it is!
    If need be!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
    is it easier to predict these storms now? i'd think with the internet and weather techonology, we'd be able to forsee anything coming our way. Or do these freak storms not make the "5 day Yahoo Forcast" i always look at?

submakr
    About 5 years ago at Lake Mead. Heading back to the marina from across the lake with the boat loaded down with camping equipment, chairs, ice chests, etc. Got windy as all heck. Big waves coming over the front, bilge pump on. Everyone in life vests. Kids crying. I thought I started hearing strange noises from under the engine hatch (my imagination). Another family was with us in their boat (they sold it after that season)!!!
    Made it back, had a few beers and changed shorts!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456