Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dammit!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I fired it up and she was running good until...................... The idle dropped down and she died. The front carb is shooting fuel out of it. I think that the valves came loose....F**K DAMMIT!!!!! Now I am scared to fire her back up. I sure hope the cam didnt go flat on me!!!!!!

Squirtin Thunder
    Man up and check the valves then fix the carb and light it Dammit !!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Man up and check the valves then fix the carb and light it Dammit !!!!
    LOL, jim you always bring a smile to my face

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    ok hewres what I got. I cut the filter and opened her up. There is a very light sighn of metal but it is verny light. IT appears to be bearing materal from the break in. Here are some pics....oh and dont mind the blood, that appeared slightly after I started cutting the filter. I decided to cut my finger open as well :burningm:
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...239filter3.jpg
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...239filter2.jpg
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...239filter1.jpg

malcolm
    It probably just flooded on gas, huh? Boy, you are murder on filters!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    It probably just flooded on gas, huh? Boy, you are murder on filters!
    Murder....thats an understatement Thats what happens when your blood pressure is soaring and your nerves are dancing around your head....

GUGS102
    396 -
    I just went through the flat cam thing on a BBC. I immediately ran up to 2500 for 25 minutes as soon as it lit. Sounded fine. I noticed a slight variation in rpm towards the end and it did not like to idle. I pulled the rocker covers and found a few loose. (I did not soak or pre pump the lifters, so I thought my initial adj was off) I reset the valves and no improvement. Pulled the rockers again. I measured the ht from the adj nut to the top of the rocker stud and found variances between valves.
    I ended up losing all but three cam lobes. I've broken in many cams as was positive I did it correctly. The closed seat pressure was only 125lbs. so I knew that was not an issue. The next morning I called Comp Cams and inquired as to the warranty process and to see if maybe they had a run of bad cams. The news I heard really pissed me off.
    They said that 85% of all warranty cams are BBC flat tappet. Why you ask?? Because some year blocks have a lifter bore to cam lobe alignment issue resluting in the lifter not rotating properly and subsequently taking out the cam. They paid for the cam and lifters but would not help with bearings etc.
    I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news, because I kept trying to trouble shoot by running the motor the oil splash which oils the piston pins was full of cam lobe and froze the pistons to the rods - so check the individual lift at each rocker arm before running again, may save you form wiping the rest of the motor out - Like I did
    After this happened I inquired with BBC experts and found many instances where all effort was made to correctly break in the cam and still had a failure. I used moly in place of the cam lube as that stuff likes to drip off if you don't run it right away.
    I really hope this is not the case but check those rocker heights first, a little time and possibly a lot of money saved.
    Gugs

dmontzsta
    chevy chevy bow bevy bannanna nana foe bevy fe fi fo bevy CHEBBY!
    lol, I am drunk and dont know why that came to mind. Atleast you are almost running man.

steelcomp
    chevy chevy bow bevy bannanna nana foe bevy fe fi fo bevy CHEBBY!
    lol, I am drunk and dont know why that came to mind. Atleast you are almost running man.
    Effin goof ball! Dude, you crack me up!! LMAO!!

sanger rat
    Next time you put in a new hyd cam in spray the lobes with speed coat ( spray graphite). Let dry and them wipe it down, then just coat it with assembly lube. Break it in as normal.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast