Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: converting from outdrive to jet

tooslow
    I own a 1990 Ultra 21ft. I built a 383 sbc with an alpha drive, and am not pleased with the results. I have only owned jet boats in the past, and am considering pulling the motor and drive and replacing them with a big block and jet drive. Anyone tried this at home? I've been told that there is a template for mounting the jet, and am curious as to how difficult the project may be. Any suggestions?

jroos
    What I would do is subscribe to Tractor Pull Mag and see how much room (and how many engines your hull can still float) and see what there techs advise. ~cause what tha hey I personnally bench race, ,,,,,every now and then!
    Gotta love,,,,,,,,,Awe` hell ya`ll know tha drill.

tooslow
    Is there anyone out there with a serious reply. Jroos- I'll send you some pics of my boat, and if you're interested, the motor and drive will be up for sale when the project is completed. I spoke with the techs at Tractor Pull, and they said you had snagged up the last subscription....

Hallett19
    anything is possible, why don't you get a hold of the manufacture to see what they say, but I honestly think it would not be worth it, why do you want to do it anyway ? is it not fast enough ? from what I have heard, everyone with a outie likes the way they go. what is it you arent happy with anyway?

Hallett19
    oh, a little addition to that, I am sure outies are great but I love my jet baby !!!

tooslow
    I am looking for more speed. My boat did 52mph in stock trim, with the new motor I only picked up about 3mph. My last boat was a carrera eclipse with a 454 and berkeley jet, it did about 63mph. I think I can convert to a jet with a big block cheaper than a bravo drive with a big block. I too loved my jet, but I was looking for a bigger boat and found a good deal on this one.

Hallett19
    well, after buying an engine and a pump and IF you do all the work yourself, you will still be in it at least 5 grand, and that is with used parts, new parts and having someone do the work for you, I am sure you are looking at $$$$$$$$ upwards of 10 grand

flat broke
    tooslow,
    Look up Ultra28 on this board. He should be able to let you know how feasible it is to do the swap since he is pretty familiar with Ultra hulls http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Personally, if you like the boat you have, then there is always a way to pull off what you want to do. If you were to abandon the traditional berkeley transom adapter you would be able to cover the hole left by the Alpha cutout for sure. Since you're going to be cutting a fresh hole in the bottom, might as well set her up for a set back pump and try and reclaim some of the interior space you are going to forfeit to the BBC and pump. If you don't get a hold of Ultra28, give Jack McClure at MPD a call. (949-631-2040 or jmcclure@pacbell.net) He'll shoot straight with you and could probably get you heading in the right direction quickly.
    Good luck,
    Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

tooslow
    Flat Broke,
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give him a call and see what he has to say, I appreciate the help. Is the 12JE or 12JY a setback pump? I have access to one, I think its an E, and is partly why I am considering the change. Also what mods can be done to the pump for more performance? Is a stainless impeller necessary? I am going to try a bigger cam and some carb adjustments in my current set up, but if it doesn't improve much, I will probably do the conversion
    [This message has been edited by tooslow (edited January 27, 2002).]
    [This message has been edited by tooslow (edited January 27, 2002).]

future boater
    too slow ,
    post a topic saying attention ultra 28 or question ultra 28 or something along those lines. he will answer your question within a few days. if anyone knows he will, sice he owns ultra. hows that for customer service?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast