Thread: Keel fin?

restofreak
    I am restoring a 19' 73 Wriedt Spoiler.Mild SBC for a reliable ski/family boat application, 12JC pump. Will be happy to see the boat do 55-60 mph.
    I have heard from different sources that this model has a tendancy to spin out or roll over on hard turns. I have been in contact with Gerry Wriedt and he assures me that he is not aware of any of his boats ever having this problem, but I would like to take precautions.
    I have a couple sets of dual keel fins kickin around but this boat is a v-hull and I've never seen them used in this application before.This should correct the spin out scenerio correct? Boat is painted so there is not much I can do as far as bottom mods to correct roll over. Comments?

77charger
    ther was a post a while back about that i believe it was said that they will help keep the boat from swerving i have asimilar prob on mine but also have no pump skags(i do now)but havent tried them if they dont help im going to a center skag too.

HBjet
    You could add a keel fin, but if you plan on making hard turns, it will now want to throw you out of the boat. I would run the boat the way it is, nobody I know uses a keel fin on a boat that small for anything other then circle racing. Just learn how your boat acts in the watter, and avoid the situation by not turing to hard. If you still want to add one, there is a topic on this somewhere in here. Good Luck
    HBjet

Unchained
    Restofreak, The guy who is an expert on those hulls is Ron Schultz in Detroit. He has won the RR class at the drags dozens of times. His company name is Schultz Machine.
    I saw him run many times. He runs over 90 mph with a 455 olds, single carb, no nitrous. I don't have his phone no.

ole war horse
    Resto, I have a 21 wriedt that I have all tore apart replacing the floor and gods knows what all, but when I got mine last summer, I had it out about 6 times and when I would go into a hard turn, there was no problem but it did lean a good bit and didn't stay flat making a hard turn like my last jet did if that makes any since. If you want, E-mail me and I can tell you more about
    it. Mine is a '74.