Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JET QUESTION

novaguy
    HEY FELLAS, JUST GOT BACK FROM HAVASU, IT WAS BITCHEN. BOAT RAN GREAT WITH ALL THE NEW STUFF PUT ON (DEMON CARB,MSD IGNITION,K&N FILTER AND PLACE DIVERTER). ON MY WAY BACK TO THE MARINA I SUCKED UP SOME STUFF, I PULLED A BIG (FIST SIZE) ROCK OUT OF THE INTAKE GRATE AND SOME WEEDS. MY BOAT RAN FINE TILL ABOUT 2500-3000 RPM AND THEN IT SOUNDED LIKE MY MOTOR WOULD JUST REV AND I COULDN'T GO ANYWHERE. I COULD IDLE FINE AND GO SLOW AS LONG AS I DIDN'T GO OVER 3000 RPM. I PULLED THE HAND HOLE OUT AND IT WAS CLEAN AND THERE APPEARED TO BE NO OBSTRUCTIONS IN THE IMPELLAR. I AM NEW TO JET BOATING AND DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN. I HAVE A BERKELEY JET DRIVE JG WITH AN "A" IMPELLAR. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

77charger
    I would pull the inspection cover and check out the impeller really good,also get under the boat and look through the intake grate for anything abnormal,See if you can see anything between the impeller and wear ring,I once found a piece of a beer can in mine after i thought i saw nothing and still had a problem.after that it was all good.

novaguy
    THANKS CHARGER, I'LL LOOK CLOSER. I PULLED THE INSPECTION COVER AND SAW NOTHING. I'LL PULL THE INTAKE GRATE OFF AND SEE IF THERE IS ANYTHING I MISSED. WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS PROBLEM IF THERE IS NOTHING THERE? I WAS EXPECTING A BUNCH OF WEEDS TO BE IN THERE AND WAS SUPRISED TO FIND NOTHING.

Old Charger
    Look REALLY hard. We sucked up a small rock at the lake once. Ended up pulling the boat out of the water to get a good look. Found it by lookin through the back of the nozzle. Kinda frustrating at that point! Oh well...
    [This message has been edited by Old Charger (edited September 03, 2001).]

gmocnik
    after pulling the inspection cover and inspecting impellor and grate did you put it back in the water to test???
    i have found that sometimes big clumps of crap (the end of thompson bay near the channel is full of stuff) block the intake and when you stop, beach, or trailer...the crap falls off the grate leaving you with a mystery....
    if nothing is there and it still won't go....inspection of both leading and trailing edges of impellor might show something...it doesn't take much to mess up the flow...
    doesn't sound like huge horsepower in this case (>600) but huge horsepower and aluminum impellors don't mix...after a few hours of hard work and varied loads (coming out of the water and over-revving, then taking up the load on entry)alum impellors will "go square" and wipe out the wear ring causing large tolerance issues and loss of pressure...and loss of wallet thickness!!!
    hope yours is the low dollar type of fix!!!!
    good luck...

Jim
    A rock could have gotten past the empeller and lodged in the bowl, take off your nozzle use a coat hanger and make sure the passages are clear. Jim Brock

riodog
    Hope the impeller isn't spinning on the shaft, broken key.

novaguy
    well, the good news is I found a rock in the impellar. The bad news is I can't get the sucker out. After trying to tackle the job myself, the rock won. Thanks for all the help fellas...Off to see Jack at MPD. I figure I'd give him a try since GS Marine forgot to use the vaseline on me last time I went there. Not impressed with the shop.

spectras only
    Novaguy,just pull the bowl off,after that you could tap it out gently towards the intake.Remember disassembly is the reversal of assembly ,that rock has to come out the opposite direction it got in http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

novaguy
    Spectras, I can't pull the damn transom cover off. It looks like it's never been off before and it is very difficult to get off. Can I pull the bowl off without taking the transom cover off? Go figure, the guy I bought the boat from had it for 12 years and never had a problem. I take it out my second time and suck a rock up. I talked to Jack, he was very nice on the phone and tried helping me out as best as he could, bottom line, I'd rather take it to him so he could see if there is anything else wrong with it.Don't want to chance it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast