Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaskets or Silicone????

DeputyDawg
    Do any of you actually use the front and rear gaskets on a Chevy intale manifold? I have always used high quality sealant instead on the front and back and never had a problem. What are y'alls thoughts?

Fiat48
    Ultra blue silicone seal by Permatex. No gaskets.

GofastRacer
    I normally use Silicone but I lay the manifold on first and see how big of gap there is, then I just lay a thick enough bead to seal it. Remember what squished out squishes in also, and sooner or later that stuff ends up at the oil pickup!. If done right there shouldn't be anything squished out, besides it looks ugly!..

dmontzsta
    I use both.

Fiat48
    I check fit first to see how much is needed. I clean manifold and block surfaces with lacquer thinner. Single bead with a caulking gun and put manifold on straight down...no sliding. Bolt the manifold down checking the squish of the stuff and then let it cure.

drysumpjet
    I always use an "Ultra Permatex" silicone with no gaskets on the front and rear of the intake. To help hold the silicone in place, I take a center punch and "dimple" the block and the intake manifold every 1/4" so in a zig-zag pattern. This technique seems to hold up to the crankcase's 12" vacuum provided by the scavenger pumps of the drysump system.

EXTREMEBOATS
    "Ultra Black" Permatex is all you need....

Beer-30
    ANY good silicone sealer. NO GASKETS.

EXTREMEBOATS
    Now you got it.... Many times i've had to pull a intake because those fancy rubber's have shifted. With silly snot its all good.... :jawdrop: Mike

SmokinLowriderSS
    Put my RPM Air Gap on this spring with Silicone front & back, (mostly 'cause it said to haha). No problems. Don't personally think color/temp rating matters much, especially for an intake manifold. I keep Red High-Temp arround, so that is what I tend to use. Yes, make sure the block AND manifold are cleanso it'll stick and you are good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast