Thread: main bearing oiling galley

meaniam
    Originally Posted by TIMINATOR
    Same oil pressure cold or hot: taking the pressure reading in the wrong place(in back at the filter is wrong,in the front at the main bearing oiling galley is correct) or inadequate bearing clearances(the bypass spring is open all the time). This is for a BBChevy. The "Grump" was only running for 8 or 9 seconds wide open during a drag race, you may run full open for MINUTES!!! Besides he freshened his motor every race, you might want yours to last the entire season..... We port the oiling system of EVERY engine we build! Since the pressure bypass is in the pump cover,(unless your jet has an FE Ford motor)if there is a misaligned oil passage that doesn't line up or has sharp corners(they all do), the bypass can be open and the bearings can be starving. Lastly: if the oil pressure is inadequate to keep the hydraulic lifters FULLY pumped up you are losing lift and duration of the cam profile, happens all the time, the HP to turn a HI-VOL pump is insignificant next to hydraulic lifter bleed-down. TIMINATOR
    hello can any one post pic of this location.( in the front at the main bearing oiling galley is correct) as i have been running my guage from location just above oil filter would like to find most accurate spot
    this line here is what intrest me the most:
    taking the pressure reading in the wrong place(in back at the filter is wrong,in the front at the main bearing oiling galley is correct)

GofastRacer
    Originally Posted by TIMINATOR
    Same oil pressure cold or hot: taking the pressure reading in the wrong place(in back at the filter is wrong,in the front at the main bearing oiling galley is correct) or inadequate bearing clearances(the bypass spring is open all the time). This is for a BBChevy. The "Grump" was only running for 8 or 9 seconds wide open during a drag race, you may run full open for MINUTES!!! Besides he freshened his motor every race, you might want yours to last the entire season..... We port the oiling system of EVERY engine we build! Since the pressure bypass is in the pump cover,(unless your jet has an FE Ford motor)if there is a misaligned oil passage that doesn't line up or has sharp corners(they all do), the bypass can be open and the bearings can be starving. Lastly: if the oil pressure is inadequate to keep the hydraulic lifters FULLY pumped up you are losing lift and duration of the cam profile, happens all the time, the HP to turn a HI-VOL pump is insignificant next to hydraulic lifter bleed-down. TIMINATOR
    hello can any one post pic of this location.( in the front at the main bearing oiling galley is correct) as i have been running my guage from location just above oil filter would like to find most accurate spot
    this line here is what intrest me the most:
    taking the pressure reading in the wrong place(in back at the filter is wrong,in the front at the main bearing oiling galley is correct)
    Looking at the filter, now look to the left just above the pan you will see 4 pipe plugs along the pan rail, the front one is the one he's talking about!..