Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mold in our boat

jenndon
    Uncovered the boat last night to start cleaning it for the summer. The motor compartment, seats, ski locker and carpet are covered in black mold. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of this??
    Someone said bleach and water but I don't want to damage my dark carpet.
    Thanks

Mandelon
    Soap and water usually does the trick. You can use a product like Virex or Sporicidin. Leave it in the sun as well as UV light helps to kill it as well.
    Mold only grows on organic materials. You need to do a better cleanup job before you put the boat away next time. And let it dry out before it is covered up. It won't grow on fiberglass or even vinyl or nylon carpet, but it will grow on a dirt film, spilled food, drink, or hair and skin fragments or bits of cotton wool or leather
    I put mine away without a good cleaning and found mold on every spot of spilled beer or juice. So wipe it down well, and make sure its really dry before you cover it up. You can run a fan or a dehumidifier if it will help.

jenndon
    Soap and water usually does the trick. You can use a product like Virex or Sporicidin. Leave it in the sun as well as UV light helps to kill it as well.
    Mold only grows on organic materials. You need to do a better cleanup job before you put the boat away next time. And let it dry out before it is covered up. It won't grow on fiberglass or even vinyl or nylon carpet, but it will grow on a dirt film, spilled food, drink, or hair and skin fragments or bits of cotton wool or leather
    I put mine away without a good cleaning and found mold on every spot of spilled beer or juice. So wipe it down well, and make sure its really dry before you cover it up. You can run a fan or a dehumidifier if it will help.
    Thank you...Where can I find Virex or sporicidin?

Mandelon
    At an industrial or janitorial supply place like Waxie...
    Honestly just go with something like Lysol...I am sure you can find something similar at Target or Walmart....but do test it on the backside of a cushion to check for color damage. Mostly we use simple soap and water, nothing special. Maybe some Softscrub for stains.
    We do mold remediation work daily....
    www.spectrumrenovations.com

ROZ
    You could always acid wash it before you put it away... :rollside:
    Okay, don't do that.... :notam:

cdog
    One of those mini bissil steam cleaners you get at target work really good for that job.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Mandelon, are mold and mildew different? I thought they were but you're the expert on that stuff. I have always used vinegar and water 50/50 to get rid of mildew and stains. It would be safe on nearly any material. The vinegar smell doesn't last longer than it takes to clean the boat. You do need to rinse it lightly with a wet cloth afterward and put a conditioner on your vinyl when done.

MagicMtnDan
    I heard vinegar and water are used to get rid of yeast but I didn't know it works on mold

Panic Button
    TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate), you can get it at HD, Lowes, WalMart etc. Comes in a little box, mix it per the directions, wil not fade carpet or stain light colors. Good stuff, will also degrease area. Painters use it to kill mold and mildew on walls before painting.

Nord
    Make sure you smell it real good first....Ahhhh. Black mold, its so good!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast