Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Drive?

XClutchboy725
    Anyone here run a gear drive on their valvetrain? I was thinking of dong it just for the noise! I think it sounds kinda cool.
    If so, what brand? Pete Jackson? are their some that are noisier than others? Maybe I don't want to go too loud. Any thoughts?
    http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies...confused24.gif

mister460
    Can't beat them for reliability and accuracy. And they do sound sweet. Any manufacturer(sp?) will work fine. Most of them are made by Dynagear anyway.

superdave013
    I ran one when I was using a huge roller cam with monster springs. But mine was not very nosiy! Don't use the Jackson or any other with the duel idler. Use one that has the idler that is fixed to the front cover. Mine was a Donavian.
    The ones with the duel idlers put load on your cam and main bearings.
    You're better off with a good true roller timing chain.

OneBadScorpion
    Well Ive used Pete Jackson on my drag car and my Scorpion for years and have never had a problem except the fact that they cost too darn much! Pete jackson/dynagear/Edelbrock/Milodon are some of the better sides--Pro-gear is coming into the picture.
    One of the things I discovered that when ya order a "off brand name" the pare comes with vertbatium instructions like the name brand--in my case My PJ's are also made by Summit with the same markings, same ID numbers ect ect as the PJ's except 80 $$ cheaper!
    Dave

MrHavasuCat
    I was told by my engine builder (Jeff Blosdale) that gear drives do not last long in a marine motor. He said that because of the sustained rpm's they wear out very quickly.

Johnwithjm
    I have a Pete Jackson gear drive in my 557Chev and have had no problems with it

wsuwrhr
    Jesel. Hands down.

Racing Ray
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 18, 2002).]

Unchained
    I gotta say those gear drives that they machine to make extra noise on purpose is the height of cornyness.

XClutchboy725
    Thanks everyone for the input.....
    A lot of good points to consider....
    She has a fairly fresh Cloyes double-roller chain right now......I think I'll stick with it!!
    Don't fix it if it's not broken right???????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast