Thread: Anyone have experience with a 'dba'?

THOR
    I was curious if anyone had experience with a 'dba'? What does it take? Do I need a business license as if I were running a business?

Mandelon
    Its simple. Been a few years, but as I recall there is a form at the County I believe, you have to fill it out then publish in a qualified paper for a week or three....

THOR
    I do some consulting work about 3-4 times per year and have had my clients pay me directly. I dont mind this, but I was curious if it was hard or easy to apply for a biz license. I would rather just have them pay me directly and not have a business.

HM
    I do some consulting work about 3-4 times per year and have had my clients pay me directly. I dont mind this, but I was curious if it was hard or easy to apply for a biz license. I would rather just have them pay me directly and not have a business.
    Business license and dba are two separate issues. Are you trying to report the income properly or something else?

ROZ
    When you apply for your business license, the form has a check boxes for sole proprietor, corporaion, llc, dba.... Check the one applicable. The county clerk will give you a couple lists of qualified services to use for your fictitious name filing to be published and run for 30 days... You have a 30day grave period to begin the publishing process...

ROZ
    Business license and dba are two separate issues. Are you trying to report the income properly or something else?
    Just use your name, have your clients write the checks and 1099's to your name, and use the schedule c for tax reporting.

THOR
    Just use your name, have your clients write the checks and 1099's to your name, and use the schedule c for tax reporting.
    That is what I wanted to hear. Can (if you have the time) explain to me what a schedule C is? I am well aware of a 1099, but dont really know anything about a schedule C.
    thanks for all your answers thus far.