Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Okie style video

Unchained
    A local outboard drag racer and myself setup a race course on a local river and did some test and tune saturday.
    Here's my best 1/8 mile run to date, both hands on the wheel this time.
    www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/uncheighthmi.MPG
    We had a 125' distance from a rope line to the start line.
    I got up to 116 mph which exceeded my expectations for the 1/8 mi. point.
    I have some oil pressure problems which I can't quite figure out. With 10 quarts of oil it seems to clear the pan and not drain back fast enough after being at 7000 rpm for 4 or 5 seconds. I may need to go to a dry sump setup.
    A spectator got a great video of a run between me and the outboard which I'll put up later.

malcolm
    Woah Momma! That's too cool! Someday......... :idea:

ShutYaPieHole
    sweet just sweet

mexrunner
    thats bad ass thanks for postin the videos

cave
    Unchained thanks for both digi vids! Somehow I got sick this 3 day weekend and these vids make me feel so much better. 116 AWESOME. Love the wind-up sound too. Again thanks for the ride.

DeputyDawg
    Unchained Posted--. With 10 quarts of oil it seems to clear the pan and not drain back fast enough after being at 7000 rpm for 4 or 5 seconds. I may need to go to a dry sump setup.
    Hey Unchained, do you have oil drainback lines installed on your heads?

Unchained
    Hey Unchained, do you have oil drainback lines installed on your heads?
    I don't have any external drainback lines from the heads. It just drains back through the lifter valley. I did install 4 restrictors several years ago at the ends of the cam journals to limit the oil to the lifters.
    The aftermarket aluminum oil pan was made by Williams Manufacturing and it has a flat aluminum tray right under the crank which I''m guessing is supposed to control windage. I'm thinking it may want some slots in it to let the oil through.
    The way it is all the oil has to hit the tray and then drain off the back edge to get to the sump.
    This has been a problem for a while and I've got to get it figured out.

Big H
    With how good that thing sounds and how fast it runs, it would be a shame to damage the motor due to some oil issues. Hope you get cleared up soon. Thanks for the vids. Good times.

cole13
    very cool video's. That sound is awesome.

cyclone
    I don't have any external drainback lines from the heads. It just drains back through the lifter valley. I did install 4 restrictors several years ago at the ends of the cam journals to limit the oil to the lifters.
    The aftermarket aluminum oil pan was made by Williams Manufacturing and it has a flat aluminum tray right under the crank which I''m guessing is supposed to control windage. I'm thinking it may want some slots in it to let the oil through.
    The way it is all the oil has to hit the tray and then drain off the back edge to get to the sump.
    This has been a problem for a while and I've got to get it figured out.
    Your oil pressure issue at wide open throttle is likely due to windage. with 10-quarts of oil in the pan and the boat sitting at a 4 to 5-degree angle (or more)under acceleration, the oil level will be above the windage tray (if your pan has one), allowing the crank to grab it and fling the oil everywhere. Drain 2-quarts of oil out of your pan to keep the level below the tray when the b oat is running and I'll bet that the issue will go away. I've seen as much as a 30-horsepower gain on the dyno by NOT running a 10 or 14 quart oil pan at full capacity. I've tested it several times and its been a repeatable gain on several different motors. My blower motor will fluctuate oil pressure greatly at wide open throttle if there is more than 8 quarts of oil in the pan. I run 7.5 quarts now and have zero issues with pressure. something to think about if you've already exhuasted all other possible solutions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast