Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Baffles from Headers Help

Taylorman
    Ok guys i need help. I have some baffles in a set of Bassetts i bought a while back for a bbc. I need to pull them out to put them in the headers on my boat for this weekend. I can't get them out. They seem to have been in for a while and are stuck in the header. I tried every possible tool i have to take them out. Help

cave
    Taylorman be careful thats how I messed up my last set of Bassett headers. I tried everything to get them out. I finally got pist and hook a cable from my pick up to the baffles. Bent the header back 1/2 inch on one side. Some how I got one out but the pipe was ovaled by the time I got it out. I should of soaked them with WD40 for a couple of days 1st. Maybe some light tapping with a rubber mallot.

MudPumper
    They are rusted in, try soaking in WD-40 or maybe soak with CLR, Calcium Lime and Rust. The try some tapping with a rubber malet. If I am running baffles, I take them out after getting off the water, then spray the inside of the pipes with WD-40 to prevent rust. Good luck

Squirtin Thunder
    Use a slide hammmer and penitrating oil !!!

olbiezer
    ruined a set of bassetts myself that way, damn thinks wouldnt even come out with a cutting torch finally settled for a new set of rewarders lol sold the old ones the guy cut them and had em jet coated sounded wild.

Shark In The Pond
    Taylor man ..I had the same trouble the other day ! Shoot W-d in there and then use a small crow bar to hook inside the header and grab baffle couple of tap tap and you can grab it with your hand and twist the rest of the way out .

After soaking with penetrant or similar if they still won't come out try a propane torch on the collector to expand it slightly. Not too much heat though, don't discolor or blister the chrome, just get good and warm all the way around.

Squirtin Thunder
    After soaking with penetrant or similar if they still won't come out try a propane torch on the collector to expand it slightly. Not too much heat though, don't discolor or blister the chrome, just get good and warm all the way around.
    Sounds like doing a wear ring on a fresh pump !!!

Taylorman
    What a pain in my a**. I screwed with them dam headers all night and i can't budge them. Im gonna bring them to a friend of mine and he is going to dip them overnight in a caustic vat he has at work. Maybe that will loosen them up. Will the caustic take off the chrome?

Ok guys i need help. I have some baffles in a set of Bassetts i bought a while back for a bbc. I need to pull them out to put them in the headers on my boat for this weekend. I can't get them out. They seem to have been in for a while and are stuck in the header. I tried every possible tool i have to take them out. Help
    u must have the newer style Bassetts...mine didnt have any baffles in them...i run Super Trapps when i have too...good luck...i hope u get them out
    fastrat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast