Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Perf

sickboy43
    So I have turned the pages in my book of life. Going from spending my summers at Lake Havasu to spending virtually every free weekend at the river. We recently purchased a spot at water wheel where my in-laws have had a place for over 10 years. It is so much easier and enjoyable than what going to the lake has become. Anyway, I am keeping my 21" Eiminator for the occasional lake trip, but am not really comfortable using it at the river due to it being a stern drive. So anyway, Iam in the market for something that will suit my interests a little better on the river. I grew up with V-drives and jet boats as a kid, so this is nothing new. I have started looking for a California Performance jet, but they are hard to come by. I was wondering if someone could spread some light on the difference between the older and new CP hulls. They seem very similar. Also, any input on what pump/motor combos might be better than others. Thanks in advance for any knowlege that someone might provide. Also, please post any info on boats that might be available. Thanks.

Squirtin Thunder
    If I were you I would PM Jake W2 he is very well versed if the Gullwing Boats.
    Good Luck
    Jim

sofa king smooth
    Thers a 2001 19 cp in the trader for 19k with motor or 14k without. Says McMclure pump with a Jim Guthrie 468. Seems like a really good deal.

sickboy43
    Thanks for the info. I left a message with that guy who had the 2001 in the trader. He is somewhere near me so hopefully i can check it out before the weekend. Sofa King, was it you who had the pics of the blue one you picked up for the Mrs? If so, that is almost exactly what i am looking for. Beautiful boat.

sofa king smooth
    Yes it was. This boat sounds very close to the one i bought. After a grate and shoe change, the boat is running good.

I dont think the molds have changed at all over the years, so the year is not really an issue. One of the things to watch out for are the cp copys. There are plenty of copys out there.A real Performance VIN should start with a PJB.There are 3 models, 18 gullwing, 19 gullwing and the tunnell, stay away from the tunnell. Im sure you already know this.
    I think most of the jet-drives are okay, just stay away from the older Dominators, anything thats failrly new should be okay and you can work with it.BBC's are always a good choice for power, i guess fords are okay too.
    There are other hulls to consider other than the CP if your interested.

I am working on number 3. Had 2 19's in the past and have a new 18' now. As far as I know, the only differences would be in the decks. My first 19'(circa 1985) had a 'dent' in the foredeck from the mold. By the second 19'(circa 1993) the 'dent' was fixed and the boat was perfect. I have seen my new one and it is perfect also. The molds have not changed as far as bottom design or measurement as far as I know from my first till now. Pump/Engine combos differ according to personal preference. I prefer a Ford/Berkely combo. Others prefer Chevrolets. It depends on what you prefer. Most anything will run in a CP!!
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Bottle Fed
    There have been lot of gullwing builders thru the years. There are big differences between the 18' and the 19'. If you compare a 18' to another 18' there is not much of a difference. 19's typically are heavier river hulls where the 18' t-decks are normally built lighter.

There have been lot of gullwing builders thru the years. There are big differences between the 18' and the 19'. If you compare a 18' to another 18' there is not much of a difference. 19's typically are heavier river hulls where the 18' t-decks are normally built lighter.
    Well, yeah. But what I mean is the 19' boat is unchanged from the mid 80's till now in my experience(except for the 'dent' in the foredeck) as are the 18's. The 19's also have more angle on the sides. The 18's are almost straight up and down. Also, as you said, 18's generally weigh less, and probably will do better(go faster) with a given engine/jet combo.
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Jetmugg
    Does Scotten use the PJB as the first 3 in the HIN? I have owned one of his boats, but don't recall the HIN. This afternoon, I'm picking up a PJB built by Earl Smith in Arkansas (18 footer), that uses the PJB prefix on the HIN.
    Not sure about Scotten's HIN's though.
    SteveM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast