Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help on new intake manifold and carb

afi823
    whats up guys...i have a stock 460 ford from harman marine in my '76 pioneer. i would like to upgrade to a new carb (old one is a holley 780 cfm, works greats) and a new intake manifold. any suggestions on what brand and series i should get would be great. thanks in advance.
    chris

You'll get lots of opinions and I'm sure that everyone has had good luck with their combinations.
    Personally I ran a Weiand Stealth (no egr) with a Holley 850 double pumper and a 2" spacer. I had excellent results with this combination.
    It fed 500 horsepower with no problems.
    I will say this though...............if you're not making any other changes to your mill, it's unlikely that you'll get any kind of significant performance increases.
    I switched from an Edelbrock Torker I (real crappy intake) to the Weiand without changing anything else, and gained nothing.

TIMINATOR
    At the same time change the cam to about 230 at .050, or don't bother with the intake. TIMINATOR

SmokinLowriderSS
    I wound up going pretty whole hog this past spring, Dealt with DuaneHTP for advice, .565 / 280 deg cam, Edelbrock Performer Air Gap manifold, ARP 3/8" rodbolts (hence a full rebuild), Billet timing set from Comp. Haven't changed my carb yet, still the original 700CFM 4150. Will likely replace next winter, 800 or so. Really woke up my old 454.
    Yes, I'd advise a cam upgrade too if you really want to make any notable gains. I think you'll be dissapointed in just a manifold/carb setup alone.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Also, With a 780CFM, I think you're carbed pretty decently, at least to start an upgrade. I'd cam & intake and use the old carb, then change once you are running again. Makes for 1 less variable to have to tinker with in the beginning and lets you see the baseline changes a bit better IMO.
    I'm carbed a bit small from Indomar decades ago but sufficient to work with for now. Will be moving up to about 800. Don't know if I want 850 to kill my mileage that much. Might do an 850 or so and then run 2 carbs, a "family day" carb, and a "hunting" carb. :lightsabe

FILUCKY
    I'm guessing with a stock 460 your turning 4500-5000,RPM.and low compression? I would not run more then a performer/performer RPM for the intake and a good RV style cam. Run the same carb for now, and for the money you can't beat the performance gains of some OTT basset pipes. About 2 years ago i was running the setup i'm recomending to you, but then i decided i wanted more so i installed a bigger cam(550 lift) 1.7 roller rockers and a victor intake(without changing impeller) and was very unhappy, actualy lost about 5 MPH! I was running a Holley 850 with both setups. Before you go crazy with the check book remember that the right combination of parts will always run the best. Also ran a tunnel ram for a short time(very short) with no performace gains over the singe holley on a duel plane intake. Just thought i would tell you some of my own experiences, and hope you have some good luck with your engine.

afi823
    can some take a look at this intake i just got from ebay and tell me if this would be worth getting to upgrade from stock for 150 bucks. thanks guys http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7979343534

It's a nice intake, but I prefer the squarebore rather than spreadbore carbs. Not sure if that one can be adapted for squarebore or not. Maybe someone will post that knows?
    Looks like ya saved about $50 over the new price.
    Edelbrock Performer RPM in Summit (http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp)
    EDL-7166
    http://static.summitracing.com/globa...e/edl-7166.jpg

SoggyJet
    ...Not sure if that one can be adapted for squarebore or not. ....
    Dan, how are you doing? Hows the boat running? Keep wishing I had an excuse to visit Pheonix again, still think about the great day at the lake.
    All the Edelbrock manifolds with the dual carb bolt pattern are designed to be used with both a square bore and spread bore, just need to use the flat plate adapter under the square bore so it seals all around the base of the carb. I believe they provide the adapter with the manifold new, and you can buy them separate if you don't have the original. Good luck.
    Doug McCoy

Hey Doug
    Good to see you postin. Had a couple small electrical problems with the boat earlier on, but got it ironed out. It really needs a re-wire and it'll probably be next year's "winter project". Other than that, she's running great. Thanks for asking.
    If you ever do get an opportunity to come back out this way, be sure to give me a hollar. You should see my new ski! It's a 7' long, handmade cut n jumper. Boots n hardware were all handmade too. I commissioned it at the end of last year and didn't get it from the builder til just before Memorial Day. Solid hardwood and weighs 19 lbs. It was so heavy I actually had to put the thing on a scale just out of curiosity. It's heavy as heck.............but man what a ride! It's similar to a Maharajah racing ski, but the boots are positioned farther back on the ski.
    I think you'd like it.
    I'm 5' 10" and the ski is resting on the floor. Sorry about the pic. I'm photophobic.
    http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/19ski.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast