Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Sand?

Wreidt
    Went to replace a freeze plugs and there was a lot of sand in the block. It was a used boat, so what is the cause of all the sand? What was the previous owner doing wrong?

RiverToysJas
    My block had sand in it too. I just figured the water being picked up by the jet had sand in it. I didn't think it was a big deal, is it?
    RTJas.

rstover1
    Every boat gets sand in the water jackets its okay as long as that is were it stays.On my old boat I tried flushing it and I dont think you would ever get it all out. As far as I know it won't hurt anything..

1000mhz
    I had some sand in my block too. I was concerned that it was ran in the salt so I asked MPD and they said it was normal. Flushing would be tuff. I got a lot out with a mini wet vac from home depot. It will come right back the next time your out at the sand bar though.

spectras only
    Since 99% of jetters don't have a strainer installed between the pump and the engine water supply line,there's a constant problem in shallow water operation.What I suggest is,bore the engine drainplug holes [one on each side]and tap it for a gardenhose brass fitting .Cap it with a plastic [not brass]cap geen,black or whatever colour you like http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif and once a week remove the cap and poke through the hole with a screwdriver.The water will gush out like a flood with the blocking sand.I prefer the plastic cap,because you can brake it in the event of jamming by the sand.The reason you want to keep an eye on the cumulative sand,because it will fill the bottom portion of your block's cooling capacity,thus causing overheating in the bottom end bearing caps by not dissipating the heat from it by the cooling water.With the installed brass fittings,you can also reverse flush this area with a garden hose attached to it.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited October 08, 2001).]

rstover1
    Originally posted by spectras only:
    Since 99% of jetters don't have a strainer installed between the pump and the engine water supply line,there's a constant problem in shallow water operation.What I suggest is,bore the engine drainplug holes [one on each side]and tap it for a gardenhose brass fitting .Cap it with a plastic [not brass]cap geen,black or whatever colour you like http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif and once a week remove the cap and poke through the hole with a screwdriver.The water will gush out like a flood with the blocking sand.I prefer the plastic cap,because you can brake it in the event of jamming by the sand.The reason you want to keep an eye on the cumulative sand,because it will fill the bottom portion of your block's cooling capacity,thus causing overheating in the bottom end bearing caps by not dissipating the heat from it by the cooling water.With the installed brass fittings,you can also reverse flush this area with a garden hose attached to it.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited October 08, 2001).]
    Good idea I was thinking of something similar to that but your idea is much better!

460rogers
    Had sand in my olds 455 block it stayed wet and froze busting the block hope i can keep this from happening on the $$$ford.

HammerDown
    Guess I must be one of the 1% who use a strainer...worke's great,will stop a grain of sand.Also use one for the header system,never had a blocked injection line yet.The block (now) drains free and clear.

Wet Dream
    Where do you find these strainers? would it put less pressure in the block?

HammerDown
    The filter's I'am using are by Jabsco,one for the motor and one on the header system.I like em because they have a clear screw on top,and a very fine ss filter.Some of the racers use a tube type fuel filter about 8 inches long,has a ss.filter in it but won't stop something as small as sand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast