Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Tsunami warning????

ZZ-Man
    I wonder how there going to explain this one regarding the so called
    " EarthQuake Weather". All I know is that there probably will have one more.
    Like they say things happen in threes.

Yes I agree, BUT IT WONT HAPPEN IN OUR LIFE TIME.....
    Or maybe right at the end of it. A large wave travelling dozens of miles inland would kill millions.
    Our lifetimes span a mere speck of history. Just becasue we haven't ever witnessed it doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. But I agree the odds are slim statistically.

Dr. Eagle
    WHAT HAPPENED TO WERE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED what :wink:
    Well we still are... just doooooomed to be in our boats on the ocean when the big waves come... DOH! :sqeyes:

meaniam
    damn it i just got done buying a raft at walmart. and when i got back i read it was canceled. crap was looking for some white water in devore, guess i will need return the raft. i still have a hope of beach front land im 1 block east or so of san andreas fualt. would have to rebuild of course. you think asia will do a tv program for my relief efforts....it is kinda scary all these earth quakes around north and south america.........id be screwed if san sndreas came awake.... is it true that the earth tilted becuase of the dec 25th earth quake in asia 1/2 inch off its axis

Kiddunot
    I was thinking of going to get the boat so i have a means of transportation to work in the morning.......

deltarat
    It is amazing how stupid people are. Up here in Northern Cal. there were people going to the beach to watch the thing come in, what these idiots didn't see the news about the last one.

CandyA$$
    CRESCENT CITY, Calif. - A major earthquake struck Tuesday night about 80 miles off the coast of northern California, prompting a tsunami warning along the Pacific coast.
    The 7.0-magnitude quake struck at about 7:50 p.m. southwest of the coastal community of Crescent City, according to the U.S. Geological Survey Web site.
    A tsunami warning was in effect from the California-Mexico border north to Vancouver Island, British Columbia.
    KCBS radio reported that residents were being evacuated from low-lying areas of Crescent City, which was struck by a tsunami after an earthquake four decades ago.
    Stuart Weinstein, a geologist at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, said that if a tsunami were generated, it would not be as strong as the Dec. 26 killer wave in the Indian Ocean.
    "We're not expecting anything huge from an event this size," added Charles McCreery, the center's director.
    Scientists were waiting for signs of any powerful ocean waves to reach tide gauges placed up and down the West Coast, Weinstein said.
    "We're monitoring our sea gauges pretty carefully," he said.
    In the spring of 1963, a magnitude-8.4 quake in Alaska generated tsunamis that caused damage there and in British Columbia, and in the states of Washington, California and Hawaii. More than 120 died.
    Hardest hit was Crescent City, where 11 people were killed after waves reaching as much as 20 feet destroyed half of the waterfront business district.
    Ok the last part here, is this what happened back then or now?

Phat Matt
    Ok the last part here, is this what happened back then or now?
    My guess is 1963.

spectras only
    No one really knows when these things will happen. Our problem is the Juan de Fuca plate that could create as much tidal movement as the recent indian ocean one. The city of Richmond [ where the vancouver intl airport is ] is below sea level and only a birm around it keep it from flooded by the ocean .I keep my boats there in a warehouse and I have the boats sitting on the trailers with plugs in, ready to go anytime just in case . Port Alberni was flooded by the tsunami during the Alaska earthquake in the 60's.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678