Thread: help before my boat gets the hammer

likeFATHERlikeSON3
    just wired up my new bilge pump and went to turn it on and see how it works and nothing happened. so the battery was pretty low, so i put a good charge on it and still nothing. the only thing i did was move a couple of wires on the fuse panel, and run new wires to the pump. why no power? i look around at all the other wires and they all look good. checked all the fuse's they are all fine. Could i have blown the power relay? i had the battery kill switch on and the positive post disconnected before any wiring....what gives?

BrendellaJet
    what wires did you move and why?

Moneypitt
    Do you have a volt meter? if not get one. It is a simple check to verify voltage at a given accessory, or terminal on a fuse/junction box. Even a simple test light will give you valuable information as to where and when you have voltage. That said, I would suspect the ground wire from the bildge pump. Where is it grounded?, and is it a clean, non painted, direct conection to either the battery or the block. Try jumping directly from the battery with both + and - wires and see if the pump runs. I have seen an impeller pushed hard against the housing during shipping, so first make sure the pump runs off the battery directly, then move on to your wiring..........MP