Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we pay our VETS enough???

bigq
    It doesn't seem to be enough to me. 100% is about $2300 a month. If your in california that doesnt go far. My dad was 100% and I could have sworn it was abut $3200 and that was in the 80's? For someone to lose both legs it seems to me we should give more so they can have a more comfortable living.I am not clear on the pension part, don't know how long you need to be in and does this apply to the reserves also?
    Vets benefits (http://veterans.house.gov/benefits/disabilcomp.html)
    VA pays a monthly monetary benefit to veterans who are disabled by injury or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty during active military service. The amount of compensation varies with the degree of disability and the number of dependents. Currently, the compensation amounts range from $108 monthly for a 10-percent disability to $2,299 monthly for a 100-percent disability, with additional amounts payable for special circumstances associated with the disability. VA disability compensation is tax-free. Last year, more than 2.5 million veterans and dependents received disability compensation or survivors benefits valued at $22 billion.

HOSS
    It all depends on highest rank achieved during military career as well as time in.

NOTALENT
    For what there doing for us...I dont think they do..I would rather take funds from some of this other Bull shit stuff..like welfare, immagration issues etc...to pay or troops and Vets a better salaray...or even this new election arnolds trying to do...fock..with 80million dollars we can do alot..for them..

HOSS
    We do alot. We have a volunteer military. Wanna do some good? Lower my mortgage rate. Lower MY tax bracket.

Her454
    Wanna do some good? Lower my mortgage rate. Lower MY tax bracket.
    I think this should be done for ALL Vets. And no, in my opinion we dont pay them enough.

Liberator TJ1984
    NO !!!
    but we can pay for Illegals

Forkin' Crazy
    I think this should be done for ALL Vets. And no, in my opinion we dont pay them enough.
    I think you are right. But.... there is a flip side of the coin. Just how much is 10% disabled?
    I have a friend that works for the USPS. Disabled Vet. He draws a check ($800+) per month, but works a full time job at the USPS.......
    I don't quite understand the logic in that.......
    If a paraplegic has a really good job and makes high 5 or low 6 figures, should they be eligible for disability?
    Don't get me wrong. I think the ones that have sacrificed should get what they deserve, but until the waste is stopped, they never will.

HighRoller
    We don't have enough money to pay our vets more money, but we can pay the states 1 billion dollars to take care of wetbacks? All it takes for our country to fall completely apart is for good people to do nothing about things like this.

HOSS
    I think you are right. But.... there is a flip side of the coin. Just how much is 10% disabled?
    I have a friend that works for the USPS. Disabled Vet. He draws a check ($800+) per month, but works a full time job at the USPS.......
    I don't quite understand the logic in that.......
    If a paraplegic has a really good job and makes high 5 or low 6 figures, should they be eligible for disability?
    Don't get me wrong. I think the ones that have sacrificed should get what they deserve, but until the waste is stopped, they never will.
    I too have a friend who works for USPS. Disabled. No go soldier at that. Louisiana Army National Guard. Fell off some bleachers at a Miltary Parade. Claims he hurt his back. 10% diabled and draws a check for life. This happenned during first Gulf War so he is also a wartime vet. Incident took place on one of his weekend drills. The guy was and is always a slug. Do we do enough. GOD DAMN RIGHT! I haven`t gotten a penny from the military. I signed up, ETS, end of story. Married couples get much more bread than a single soldier. Then when they have to deploy the families argue that single soldiers should go first. But they don`t mind cashing the check.
    Anyone in argue of this should enlist. Part of your training is a mindset. These guys are willing to put there lives on the line for what they believe. I know I was. And thats when there was a 50k insurance policy.
    War ain`t easy.

Flyinbowtie
    My son is active U.S. Army, and is an E-4. He is an EFI/electronics guy on diesel and gas turbine engines. 2 years into a 3 year active duty hitch.
    My nephew is active U.S. Army, and an E-4 currently serving in Iraq. He is an infantryman, by choice.
    Both young men knew the pay when they joined, and neither has complained about it at all. Nephew re-enlisted while in a hot zone for another 4 years.
    As an old man of 46, I find it rather ironic that these kids, who are volunteering to serve their country are paying federal income tax to boot.
    The enlisted ranks below Sgt. should not be paying federal income tax, it is just wrong. These kids are not really making much beyond Ca. minimum wage anyway. While on Iraqi soil they are getting extra $, but the idea that we as a nation ask our young people to serve then take back their pay just rubs me wrong.
    My son, who is stateside, even has his pay docked to subsidize using the chow hall and living on base, so the idea of 3 free hots and a cot isn't accurate. While I understand that we as taxpayers are ultimately paying for all of this, and there is abuse in the system, I think taxing these kids stateside or in a war zone is wrong. Officers, senior elisted, non-coms, these guys are choosing a career path and the pay and benefits improve considerably above E-6. When not in a war zone, they should fall into the same tax bracket as the next guy making middle class wages.
    Remember, the kids that are serving over there now are our veterans of the future. It is not like these men and women come from some other planet to fight, then go back when they are done. These are our friends and family..they live with us, will marry our children, etc.
    I have been in a couple of those Veterans homes, where some of these men go in what should be the golden years of their lives. It is tragic, like a village of the damned.
    A couple of good friends are Vietnam era vets, and the B.S. they have to go through to get care for injuries they still suffer from is unreal. Taking care of these people shouldn't even be up for debate, it is simply the right thing to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast