Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we pay our VETS enough???

HOSS
    I paid federal income tax and state tax during my enlistment. The old saying goes, " if you can`t take the heat, get the phuc out of the kitchen".

Flyinbowtie
    So did I Hoss.
    It isn't about the heat in the kitchen. It is about the right thing to do.
    IMHO

HOSS
    IMHO
    your entitled to your opinion. I think it stinks. I don`t want my government giving a God damn thing out. We give too damn much as it is. I bet the military is still at 3% pay raise. More than I`m guaranteed.

Froggystyle
    Retirement benefits suck, as do the tax brackets military are in.
    My retirement income from the Navy is taxed at 32% on my federal form.
    In fact, every military benefit, re-enlistment bonus or payment on bonus and my retirement is taxed at the 32% bracket. I don't know of any rich guy being taxed at 32% federal right now. Speak up if you are.
    My $50,000 re-enlistment bonus was paid in four installments. One disbursment was for half of the bonus, or $25,000 which amounted to $17,000 after taxes. The last half was disbursed over the remaining three years of the re-enlistment at about $5,600 per year. I didn't even get to make a decision about how to invest the whole thing. I got it doled out to me. Total re-enlistment was for $34K or so. Bullshit.
    Now if you re-enlist overseas you get it tax free. Most SEAL/s did that if the opportunity arose, which it usually did. I didn't get to do that though as I re-enlisted immediately out of training to guarantee four years in the teams.
    Not to mention my retirement is a fraction of my pay. A small fraction. As a SEAL I made not only my E-6 base pay which was around $2500 per month when I got out, but Housing (2K), food ($250), That amounted to right around a $4750 total for me with no kids. In addition to that, SEALs got jump pay($250), sea pay ($350), dive pay($250), demo pay($350), professional pay($350) and extra hazardous duty pay ($350). When deployed we got sea pay ($350) Combat zone pay ($250) and family separation pay ($250) We took home a lot of per-diem pay for trips where we were separated (I was gone about 240 days/year) and other pay benefits for uniforms and stuff. Total on all of this good stuff was easily another $3,000 and sometimes depending on per-diem closer to $5,000. Now a lot got spent from the per-diem for hotels and such, but if you were thrifty you could bank a lot of it.
    All of those special pays are taxed at 32% by the way... except combat pay, which assumes you are in a tax free zone being deployed. Per diem in combat is tax free also.
    Bottom line, I made between $7,750 and 10K per month depending. That amounts to a tidy little yearly sum of $93,000 to $120,000 for stated income. Let's work off of $90,000 as a nice round number. Don't everybody get their panties in a bunch over what we got paid either. We were worth every damn penny.
    Military retirement is at 40% or something for my year group. That would mean that in a just world I got $36,000/year as a retirement as a minimum. Not the case. My "retirement" income is based on base pay. For those keeping track that is around $2500/month. 40% of which is $1,000
    Fortunately for me, as my debilitating injury occurred during a night combat equipment parachute jump and as such is combat related, the 30% disability I receive as an E-6 over 6 is tax free. The other 70% I am not disabled isn't though.
    So, 30% of my $1000 per month retirement is tax free, and I get charged 32% on the remaining $700 or so. Take home of $1,000 is $775/month.
    I didn't become a SEAL for the retirement or the pay. I had my reasons. The slap in the face after forced medical retirement is garbage though.
    If the only change was that we were taxed in a normal bracket for the wage and retired based on the last two years pay while serving I would be happy. Very happy.

HOSS
    Didn`t you know that your re-up bonus would be paid in installments? Maybe you should have done 30. I know you said that you weren`t in it for the money or retirement. I guess the bottom line is like I said, " these guys aren`t in it for the money". Its a different mindset.

Froggystyle
    Didn`t you know that your re-up bonus would be paid in installments? Maybe you should have done 30. I know you said that you weren`t in it for the money or retirement. I guess the bottom line is like I said, " these guys aren`t in it for the money". Its a different mindset.
    Irrelevant. I know what you mean, but the thing about being selfless and devoted to the greater good above yourself is that it is nice when others reward you when you are not fishing for it.
    Veterans won't ask for better tax benefits or consideration. I never have. I have never personally voted for it or lobbied for it. You hope that the people you protect/whatever will respect the contribution and reward the sacrifice.
    Most hightly motivated folks I know don't work for money, they work for respect and acknowledgment. That goes a long way.
    Cutting your retired basis pay by one third of what you actually make is disrespectful.

Jeanyus
    I paid federal income tax and state tax during my enlistment. The old saying goes, " if you can`t take the heat, get the phuc out of the kitchen".
    Do people shoot at you and try to kill you while you are at work? If so then I vote that you dont pay taxes, get a lower mortgage rate, and get better benifits.
    Not to hijack this thread but this line is too funny "or even this new election arnolds trying to do...fock..with 80million dollars we can do alot..for them"
    New election?
    Let me clairify things so you won't be in the dark. In November California is going to have an election, regardless of what Arnold does. The election will cost $35 million. The things that Arnold wants to put on the ballot will cost another $45 million. That comes out to about an additional $1.25 per resident of California. I will gladly pay $1.25 to get a chance to vote on cutting the pork out of the California budget. OK I'm Done.
    PS I don't think any money collected from CA. state tax would go to veterans anyhow.

HOSS
    First off have you ever served?
    Second, I you did then you knew war was a possibility and death was a possibility. So if you don`t want to die or even have that possibility come about then why the phuc did you enlist?
    If you can`t take the heat get the phuc out of the kitchen.

Jeanyus
    So you think everyone who served in the military enlisted?
    I think someone needs a hug.

rivergoer
    NO !!!
    but we can pay for Illegals
    fockin right brother!!!!! we do pay some dumb ass shit and waste alot of money twoards stuff that we could cut out and put twoards our troops. what do peoplle think that a life is only worth 25k taxble a year, because thats all i get paid in the marine corps and im maried,ones who aent married get paid less its bullshit! they pay movie stars millions of dollars to act like soldiers **** why not give some of that to th soab's that are doing it for real, and not acting, sorry but that shit hits a bad spot with me pisses me off the way we get treated and run down. by the way right now im overseass and in the marine corps and im a corporal right now should pick up sergeant real soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast