Thread: Outboard Rudder

elmv-drive
    I have a 1977 20' Eliminator V-Drive. I am going to have GS Marine Restor the Boat and change it all to the top of the line equipment. So I am looking for pictures of any Outboard Rudders. Thanks

MILKMAN351
    I have a 1977 20' Eliminator V-Drive. I am going to have GS Marine Restor the Boat and change it all to the top of the line equipment. So I am looking for pictures of any Outboard Rudders. Thanks
    CHECK OUT THE BRUMMET 21' IN THE JULY HOT BOAT MAG...

V-DRIVES RULE
    I have a 1977 20' Eliminator V-Drive. I am going to have GS Marine Restor the Boat and change it all to the top of the line equipment. So I am looking for pictures of any Outboard Rudders. ThanksGreg will know what to do

DetroitJim
    Of the 3 eliminator v-drives running around here that I know of, the two with wide inboard rudders steer well, the one with a narrow spade rudder doesn't turn too well at higher speeds. I'm not so sure you want an outboard rudder, it takes a good amount of leverage to overcome the tendency of the tunnels to track straight. The inboard rudder is closer to the prop and gives more steering. At least that's my two cents on it...
    DJ

EXTREMEBOATS
    Why not two rudders, with a fairly wide blade? I know it would create more drag but I would think handleing would improve. Im intrested in any input on v-drive Daytonas or similar type hulls. Were picking up molds in a few months, And the owner as rigged a few with v-drives. With awsome results... Mike

Kurtis500
    I've got a twin rudder hydro right now. We cut off one rudder a few years ago and it made NO difference except the turning wasn't as good. No change in ET or MPH in the 1/4 mile either. (110 mph)

bigkatboat
    Does you boat have a 'round bottom' or a 'delta pad bottom'? If it is round, don't bother with the "trick BS". The round bottoms 'roll over' at higher speeds. Did Greg ask you about this before he took your money?

elmv-drive
    Well Greg just got done restoring my dads 20' Spectra jet, I have been talking to him about my boat for some time. He said that by changing the bottom of the boat to accept a wide ride plate that is connected to the cross bar for the cavitation plates, it will ride on that. He also stated that the boat will not try to roll. I had that happen to me at lake Elsinore, the second time out with the new motor. The GPS said 63mph Scared the p__s out of me.