Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A performance EFI alternative to 496HO?

northern baja
    So a 496Mag HO with lopo inners(cast crank, pistons, lo rods, etc) with X drive carries a 23K tag and doesn't really move a 25'er that well.
    What are my options as I need a drop-in motor/drive alternative that I can get Advantage to drop into one of their hulls? The Raylar kit may up the power but does nothing for base reliability.
    I like to go with an EFI setup, I think 500+ HP would get me into the right range.
    I could go up to 28K for the total drop-in cost.
    What I don't need is a reliablity problem that leaves me swing-in in the wind with no warranty support.
    I'm thinking a 540 or 572 EFI would be a good way but?

bordsmnj
    i found some decent stuff here a while back
    http://new.boostpower.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=454
    also check here...
    http://www.tpboats.com/pages/1/index.htm

Beer-30
    Just to clarify, an HO has a forged crank and rods. The regular MAG has cast crank and the HO forged rods. Both have cast pistons. This is right out of the manual. The pistons are the weakest area.
    If they were just built with forged pistons, the bottom end would be as good as, if not better than, a 502 MAG.

cdog
    So a 496Mag HO with lopo inners(cast crank, pistons, lo rods, etc) with X drive carries a 23K tag and doesn't really move a 25'er that well.
    What are my options as I need a drop-in motor/drive alternative that I can get Advantage to drop into one of their hulls? The Raylar kit may up the power but does nothing for base reliability.
    I like to go with an EFI setup, I think 500+ HP would get me into the right range.
    What I don't need is a reliablity problem that leaves me swing-in in the wind with no warranty support.
    Call Fonse performance......Talk to Al.

shadow
    You have alot of options with 28k,As far as Raylar and reliability i run the piss out of my Raylar 496HO and has been turn key.Not one reliability issue yet.

prozach
    I would keep the drive and find a Merc. 525efi. You can find them around for about $24k. Check Offshore Only. I would then take the other 4k and have some drive work done.

shadow
    I would keep the drive and find a Merc. 525efi. You can find them around for about $24k. Check Offshore Only. I would then take the other 4k and have some drive work done.
    :idea: If someone was to go that route they could Do a Raylar kit to the 496 for 1/3 of that $24k have the same hp and more tourque than the 525.
    I guess that leaves extra $$$ for the pocket.

prozach
    Yeh...but does Raylar warranty the entire motor for 1 year? He wants a warranty to fall back on. I think it is a lot of money to spend on an old motor.
    I would talk to Pfaff or Infomaniac from the boards and see what they can do. I know Pfaffs 600hp is about $24k. Both offer warranties.

shadow
    What would you do? This?

shadow
    I would talk to Pfaff or Infomaniac from the boards and see what they can do. I know Pfaffs 600hp is about $24k. Both offer warranties.
    Or would you do this? :wink:
    Just messin with you! With 24k there are definately alot of optioins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast