Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A performance EFI alternative to 496HO?

prozach
    That is what I did do. I looked at my options. Pfaff was the best IMO for the price/location. Problem was insurance would go from 700/yr from Progressive to 2400/yr through some no name, with restrictions. 525hp being the limit before it jumps. I went with the merc. only for the fact that it could be repaired just about anywhere and if I go to resell it, everyone knows Mercury.

Dave C
    talk to INFO,Info (http://marineassault.net/) I spoke with him about big old EFI motors, He can make them anyway you want. (He's got good innerds too ) If my boat didn't already come with a motor I would have used him.
    Also talk to Gary Taylor, he is on the boards too.GT (http://www.tpboats.com)
    If you don't already have a motor and are willing to use someone else, don't bother with Merc.

Beer-30
    Hey, we all know Merc Racing builds nice motors. I just can't see paying for the blue paint! A person can get a full custom motor with even some better internals for less than any of their blue motors. GT put together that 700TPI that was over 720HP and wants 33K for it. I am sure a 600HP blue motor is more than that by a long shot. And, the bearings in the blower are going to go at some time, so staying NA is one less possible headache!

prozach
    I agree. The smaller builders do offer more for your buck. Pfaff was my first choice. Insurance was the issue for me.

northern baja
    Thanks for all your input. I hadn't even considered insurance. We'll probably keep it simple and go 496HO with an X drive and fix it later. Maybe a Raylar kit is in my future.
    15K is a tom extra to pay for the 525/XR setup. It don't fit in the check book. :boxed:

Dave C
    600 HP Raylar kit + stock cover = look honey, its a 496 with 425 HP!!

Brian
    600 HP Raylar kit + stock cover = look honey, its a 496 with 425 HP!!
    Very smart, I like it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12