Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump spline engagement depth?

Jetmugg
    I'm setting up the engine location in my 18' Gullwing. The pump has a Jetaway installed. My question is how much clearance should I allow before the driveline coupler "bottoms out" on the splines. I know that it should not bottom out, but don't know how much clearance to leave.
    Any input is aprreciated.
    SteveM.

Heatseeker
    I've been told it should be 1/8" from bottom.
    Welcome back!

I run mine right about 1/16 from the clip, then just removed the clip.The more engagement, the better.
    Cs19

flat broke
    Something important to note here. You don't want to run it bottomed out because in some applications the pump shaft will "walk" forward a little once the impeller starts pulling water. With no slack in the driveline, this could put stress on the thrust bearing in the motor.
    Chris

Heatseeker
    Something important to note here. You don't want to run it bottomed out because in some applications the pump shaft will "walk" forward a little once the impeller starts pulling water. With no slack in the driveline, this could put stress on the thrust bearing in the motor.
    Chris
    That's what I was told, hence the 1/8". That way there's no possibility of shaft walk to damage the engine's thrust bearing(unless you lose the front pump bearing).

Jake W2
    Steve put the cupler up aginst the clip then remove the clip.The clip is for a lenco drive shaft.THIS IS THE WAY DUANE SAID TO DO IT.
    Jake

Jetmugg
    I'm glad to hear Duane's method. I was going to call him, but didn't even know that he was back from France yet. Then I saw the Banderlog posts from him.
    Thanks again,
    Steve.

American Turbine Man
    DO NOT REMOVE THE SHAFT SNAP RING! Removing the snap ring could cause the impeller and shaft assembly to run into the back of the bowl. If you have a fast boat you could have more than 3100 pounds of force pushing on the impeller when you come off the throttle at high speed. ATM

Heatseeker
    DO NOT REMOVE THE SHAFT SNAP RING! Removing the snap ring could cause the impeller and shaft assembly to run into the back of the bowl. If you have a fast boat you could have more than 3100 pounds of force pushing on the impeller when you come off the throttle at high speed. ATM
    I was wondering if that was such a great idea.
    What would the snap ring have to do with a Lenco driveshaft?

They aren't talking about removing the circlip on the PUMP SHAFT, they are talking about the circlip in the front of a JETAWAY, which is what Jetmugg was asking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast