Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i figured it out

dave186
    if some of you remember i lost all oil pressure in my engine after only running it for a few minutes. i pulled it out of the boat and checked out the bottom end and found nothing. it was running ok, so i never thought to check the top end of the motor.
    well guess what i found when i pulled the intake. one lifter out of its bore and a bend pushrod. what happened was one of the rocker studs came loose. i dont know how but it did, cause i loc tited the crap out of them (yes everything was clean). so that was on an exhaust valve, and the intake valve was trying to open when there was all this pressure in that cylinder and it bent the pushrod. everything else looks fine so i checked all the studs and put it back together with a new set of pushrods.
    bad part is a pulled the motor out and tore it down to fix something simple. that could have only take an hour

gfinch
    Its called "Hearing hoof beats and then looking for zebras". I have 33 years experance as a auto mechanic and I still look for those zebras at times.
    Gary

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    if some of you remember i lost all oil pressure in my engine after only running it for a few minutes. i pulled it out of the boat and checked out the bottom end and found nothing. it was running ok, so i never thought to check the top end of the motor.
    well guess what i found when i pulled the intake. one lifter out of its bore and a bend pushrod. what happened was one of the rocker studs came loose. i dont know how but it did, cause i loc tited the crap out of them (yes everything was clean). so that was on an exhaust valve, and the intake valve was trying to open when there was all this pressure in that cylinder and it bent the pushrod. everything else looks fine so i checked all the studs and put it back together with a new set of pushrods.
    bad part is a pulled the motor out and tore it down to fix something simple. that could have only take an hour
    Dont worry bud. 460 jus getn it had the same problem in his ford twice. He pulled the motor out and dropped the pan and found nothing. Then he asked a local shop and they told him to check the lifters. And bam , there it was. He didnt bend a pushrod. What kind of pushrods are you using? He is using the one-piece from comp.

dave186
    mine are just stock replacement pushrods. they werent at fault, the pushrod that bent was still holding the lifter in its hole. its the loose rocker arm stud that caused this. if it comes out this time, i will have to weld them in!

EXTREMEBOATS
    In 25 years of engine building I have found myself in that same spot. What I have learned is "some times we look to hard, And a easy fix is right under our nose". A old wiser than me man once told me "You have to be smarter than what your working on" And yes I have to remind myself of his wisdom still... How would you learn if it was any other way??? :idea: Mike

Squirtin Thunder
    So my block is OK ????

MudPumper
    I had the same shit happen last summer. Easy fix but a pain in the ass.

dave186
    So my block is OK ????
    yes, its just fine Jim.

Squirtin Thunder
    yes, its just fine Jim.
    That's good, but what heads are you running that the studs are pulling out ???
    Jim

dave186
    d3 heads modified for studs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast