Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pay Someone Else?

LVjetboy
    What do you think? Pay someone else $$$ or do it yourself cheap? Do your own engine and pump work or hire someone else? Why or why not?
    jer

I'd think that would depend entirely on how much knowledge AND time you have.

Infomaniac
    Pay someone else to do the engine for sure
    ME

LVjetboy
    Let's not forget access to machining and tools.
    But then I could farm out machining, balancing, expertise and detail work, then still claim build rights by collecting parts, assembling, torquing, choosing gaskets and checking clearances...right? Been there. If I wanted to claim fame that is.
    Seems a little fuzzy in the "claims" department.
    So how much knowledge? Let's consider how much knowledge someone has in the business of building race pumps. Maybe 20? Or maybe 30 years? They may know a thing or two? So if I wanted to work my own pump and learn by my mistakes to gain that same knowledge, I'd end up like 80 freaking years old before I could duplicate their results...
    Ya, cruise the river in a wheel chair with oxygen hooked and Depends slappin' my ass.
    Of course I'm a fairly detail-oriented guy, not to mention a fast learner. So after maybe 10 or so pump rebuilds I'd catch on. You think I want that learning curve at 47? Not to mention the $expense$ of those 10 rebuilds and trial and error.
    After that, if I'm still on this great earth, I get to learn how to build that monster engine too. Not just your average big block rebuild here. I've done that copy? But a true runner, the best of the best. Instead of my limited rebuild experience, I'd have to build maybe 50 or 100 engines, benefiting from racers along the way to get the level of power and reliability I want. How expensive is that you think?
    Not to mention buying a milling machine, line bore, heck a whole freaking machine shop so I could claim that I truly "built" my engine...not farmed out then just collected and assembled. After all, truly "building" means every single detail from hot tank to machining to balancing to assembly to dyno run. If you don't do every single detail, then where's the pride in claiming you do your own work? Or someone else doesn't?
    After all that, then maybe I could put my engine and pump together for some awesome performance. That is if I could keep my oxygen mask hooked, iv's in, and depends(sp?) from hiking up my ass at full throttle.
    How many racers truly "build" their own engines and pumps???
    If they don't, does that lessen their status???
    Not saying that do-it-yourself is bad. There's certainly a pride in doing something yourself and doing it well. I've done quite a bit on my boat myself btw. Just that suggestions such as, "I do my engine or pump myself so you other guys are bogus".....just doesn't fly.
    jer

Her454
    you are way to clear headed and full of ambition for 3:54 am. I think it all depends on time and $$$$, what you know, and WHO you know to get the right stuff done. Even paying big bucks doesn't mean it always gets done right the first time either....unfortunatly.

Blown 472
    Alot of time on your hands Jer??

Her454
    Blown 472:
    Alot of time on your hands Jer?? Not to hijack his thread, but i love the avatar Blown!

Blown 472
    Her454:
    Blown 472:
    Alot of time on your hands Jer?? Not to hijack his thread, but i love the avatar Blown! I thought it kinda funny and ironic.

Jungle Boy
    I pay for the engine work. I'm no expert on that sort of thing. I can do regular maintenance, but for the full blown building and teardowns::no way. The rest of the work on the boat, I can do. I have some very good pump guys in the crowd that I hang with how are willing to lend advise.
    [ February 03, 2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Jungle Boy ]

Infomaniac
    Jungle Boy:
    I pay for the engine work. I'm expert on that sort of thing. I can do regular maintenance, but for the full blown building and teardowns::no way. The rest of the work on the boat, I can do. I have some very good pump guys in the crowd that I hang with how are willing to lend advise. How do you guys keep the trash out of the pumps?
    Jumping logs and running across gravel in 2" deep water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast