Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much $$$ for fresh BBC 336781 heads

mile2885
    So, After taking my heads to the machine shop, they pretty much laughed and were surprised at what I was running on my boat. They have fresh set of 336781 (large oval) BBC heads that have had the works done that some guy backed out on the deal. They are asking $930 for the set that has had pretty much everything done to them. They want $600 to redo mine which are small oval. Since my block is pretty much a stock 2 bolt 454 with a mild cam, performer intake, holley 750cfm and bassett headers. Does this sound like a good deal?? It would be nice to see some more hp..... :idea:

NOTALENT
    So, After taking my heads to the machine shop, they pretty much laughed and were surprised at what I was running on my boat. They have fresh set of 336781 (large oval) BBC heads that have had the works done that some guy backed out on the deal. They are asking $930 for the set that has had pretty much everything done to them. They want $600 to redo mine which are small oval. Since my block is pretty much a stock 2 bolt 454 with a mild cam, performer intake, holley 750cfm and bassett headers. Does this sound like a good deal?? It would be nice to see some more hp..... :idea:
    as in works you mean??? port and polish? what type of rocker arms and springs?? what do the heads conist of??

mile2885
    ya sorry about the brief description....they are not ported or polished but have had all new guides installed, new valves, springs, hardened seats ect....basically a lot more than I was planning on having done to mine. He told me that pretty much all my exhaust valves weren't sealing properly on mine.

BK
    $930 seems a bit high to me for a set of stock heads, but mabye im wrong. I paid $150 for a set of bare 781's from Jack at MPD, then had them machined for oversized valves, had a fair amount of port and polish work done along with some other things and have about that much into them. Ive got a set of 049's in my garage that need to be gone through id let go for cheap but with shipping its probley just not worth it.

NOTALENT
    I agree..I just sol a pair of 781's complete for 150.00 all they needed was a valve job, valve guides and springs...Im guessing you can get a way better deal then that...seems a bit high.

mile2885
    OK, I'm not sure what to do. I saw a set on ebay 336781 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33617) for almost $800. This isn't the same set i'm looking at but the price is similar. Are they really worth that much?? I'm not sure the guy posted the correct casting #s. Really all I'm looking for is a set of heads that I can slap on and run. Since I am planning on selling the boat, I really don't want to spend a ton of money. I'm not planning on the boat selling super fast so I would like to build it right so its reliable and I can use it until it sells.............if it sells. The only reason I'm dealing with heads is because I got water in the #1 cyl from my bassetts. I had to pull the #1 piston and have the shop check it to make sure the connecting rod wasn't bent. I was told from the shop that it would be a good idea to install new connecting rod bearings and I'd be good to go. Now all it comes down to is the top end. So when you guys get a valce job, how much does it usually cost including parts and labor?? Thanks for the help. :idea:

FILUCKY
    Be patient, look around at some of your local engine builders alot of the time they will have a good used set or know someone that does. For the price your looking at your only a few hundred away from some entry level aluminum heads. I just had a buddy that sold his big port(oval) in great condition for 300 bucks. Good luck

Liberator TJ1984
    You also need to know what those heads are set up for......spring pressures ,heights .....etc....
    Just cause they will fit ,dosen't mean they will work for you and your engine combination...
    Like you said you have pretty much stock cam ....you would flatten it quick if spring psi.was too much...and other things could also go wrong...
    Like Filucky said, shop around a little and compare

Norseman
    ya sorry about the brief description....they are not ported or polished but have had all new guides installed, new valves, springs, hardened seats ect....basically a lot more than I was planning on having done to mine. He told me that pretty much all my exhaust valves weren't sealing properly on mine.
    Sounds like a lot of money unless the valves and springs are something special. Make sure the springs are going to be compaitable with the cam you are running, if you decide to buy them. $600 sounds like a lot of money for a stock valve job too.
    I just had a set of 331 Chrysler heads done and it cost me $250 with all new guides. Valves were good and did not need to be replaced. I supplied the new springs. They are ported and polished long long ago by Mondello.
    New guides are nice, but if the guides in your heads are good why pay for something you don't need. :idea:
    If the camshaft you have is mild and the short block is a stock low compression one the the big ports are not going to help you any if at all. :idea:
    An engine works as a system and all of the components have to be matched.

mile2885
    So would this be a good time to change the cam? Since I have no idea whats in it, I could get a cam then match the valve springs, lifters ect. I found a good set of 049s for $185. It would be nice to see a little HP increase after all this bs. Would that be a bad move? Sorry for all the questions. Like I said before, its a 2-bolt 454, stock bottom end, cast pistions ect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast