Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Power Cruiser" discussion

CrazyHippy
    This has been discussed here and there before, but i want to have it all in one spot, and easy to refer to in the future.
    What is the difference (in actuality, not theory) between all the cruisers?
    Eliminator double steps
    Hallett Vectors
    Schiada's 20 and 21'
    Spectra
    Campbell
    Connelly
    Rush
    DiMarco
    Howard 19, 20 and 21
    Any I missed (sorry)
    I'm not overly concerned w/ the history behind them and who's is a splash of what etc, because im not buying new and supporting the slacker.
    What runs the fastest on say 800HP? How about rough water? Build quality? Interior space? (2 buckets and a bench is fine) Anythign else that i should know?
    Thanks
    BJH

djunkie
    The Howards and schiadas are better than the rest of them. Oh I should catch some shit for this. :hammerhea

spectras only
    The only two boats that's comparable in hull/deck design are the 20.10 spectra and 21 Howard. . We're talking old school daycruisers here ? The spectra/howard would have sligthly more under the deck space compared to the others. The spectra is built like a sherman tank ,so it's great for rough water .The schiada has sligthly more deadrise but shallower entry at the stem. They're all great .The Howard Citation [25'] is identical to the spectra 24 [ 24'6" ] . Schiada 24 would be my pick of the big cruisers. The 20.10 spectra is bigger than the 21 Schiada cruiser , but the 22 Schiada is much bigger than the 20.10 spectra :smile: . I would take a 20 spectra v-drive for comfort/space [ you can sleep 2-3 under the deck ] , unless you're into ski racing [Schiada territory :rollside: ]

orange picker
    I had a Schiada and it was great now I have a Hallett 210 and their is no comparison it will out handle my old Schiada all day long. But if I was going to build a boat write now it would be a Schiada I just like the look

CrazyHippy
    Your 210 run better in the really rough stuff too??
    I dont doubt it's faster, you are able to direct the prop thrust straight back, as opposed to having 6-8* of angle plus the running angle of the boat...
    I love the "feel" of v-drives, they feel alive, so unless a bitchen deal on a Vector w/ a #3A falls in my lap, they are out. There's a teal Vector for sale on here that i would already have in the garage if i could get a responce :hammerhea from the seller.
    There is also a 20' (maybe a 20.10, not sure) spectra for sale in nice shape for about the same price, and it would probably be a better cruiser, but i plan on Ski-racing in the near future, and coming from my STV anything will be an awesom cruiser
    Where else should i be looking?
    BJH

Highlimit9000
    How about a Schiada 20', two seater, 1500hp twin turbo motored, v-drive hot rod to wreak havoc on the water, every see the old Schiada brouchre with it at mead, 3+ feetout of the water at speed !!! :supp:
    :rollside: Those dont exist... Never seen one :rollside:

orange picker
    Your 210 run better in the really rough stuff too??
    I dont doubt it's faster, you are able to direct the prop thrust straight back, as opposed to having 6-8* of angle plus the running angle of the boat...
    I love the "feel" of v-drives, they feel alive, so unless a bitchen deal on a Vector w/ a #3A falls in my lap, they are out. There's a teal Vector for sale on here that i would already have in the garage if i could get a responce :hammerhea from the seller.
    There is also a 20' (maybe a 20.10, not sure) spectra for sale in nice shape for about the same price, and it would probably be a better cruiser, but i plan on Ski-racing in the near future, and coming from my STV anything will be an awesom cruiser
    Where else should i be looking?
    BJH
    On smooth water I like the Schiada in the rough stuff The 210 is better

dossangers
    I think the oldest of the modern cruisers are spectras or cambells Bud designed both. all of them are copies of the original designs by Bud Bailey designed all the 21-32 hallets. They always had a great bottem design. I have a 24 sanger/spectra with stock outdrive 60mph low deck lots of room great ride just a great river and lake boat going to step up the power a little. When i was at sanger picking it up in 86 there was an 24 with #3 drive and a blown big block a Delta runner! The boat i always wanted was Fred Millers 24 hallet with a #5 drive and a Gentry twin turbo setup very sweet indeed!!

Itsahobby
    How about Rayson Craft?
    http://raysoncraftboats.com/custom.htm?
    Hobby

Kurtis500
    I have a 21ft Howard and my friend a 20' Schiada twin turboed. The Howard is smoother in rough water and the Schiada is more responsive in steering and to horsepower. The Howard will go straight through 2 foot chop at 60mph, never unload the prop and feel like its just going over small bumps. Under the deck is room to store everything. The Schiada sets the motor up and out of the boat more, while the Howard sets it down farther and is easier to cover up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast