Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are O.T. pipes illeagal?

stacey
    I have a 1976 Checkmate Jet w/460/berkeleyJG
    it came stock with O.T. pipes. they are falling apart now, but I would like to buy some new ones from rewarder for about $410
    I don't want to spend that kind of money to take one jaunt down the river and have the local 5-0 telling me to take the pipes off!
    I could also purchase silencers if it would keep the cops off my tail. I have log type manifolds so if I went with through transom, I would still have to buy risers for about the same cost if not more.
    anybody familiar with the noise laws in
    illiNOISE??????

hoolign
    depends where you boat dude,some lakes are fairly lax at certain times of the year,some, your in shit for sneezing,I think most lakes require 80dcb at 80 feet,somthing like that.
    check the bylaws on the lakes you freqent.

Blown509Liberator
    stacey
    IL boater here also. I boat on Chain o lakes and Fox river. I have a blown 509 with Trough transom with Baffles. I am not to bad with noise. The law states that you must pass a 90 DBL 1 meter off transom at idle (This Follows SAE standards for mufflers.) The baffles seem to cut the Tone down and I have never been looked at twice for noise. The chain has cracked down on noise but what they are looking at is the gross violators. Install a set of baffles and I think you will be just fine
    MikeW

Erik
    I have OT Bassett headers on my boat & as long as they are water injected then you will pass at most lakes. If you run water injected headers & baffles then you shouldn't have trouble at any of the lakes I'm aware of.

77charger
    Originally posted by Erik:
    I have OT Bassett headers on my boat & as long as they are water injected then you will pass at most lakes. If you run water injected headers & baffles then you shouldn't have trouble at any of the lakes I'm aware of.
    i second that.

Hawaiian 76
    Iam southern IL and boat on rend lake most of the time. Run OT Bassett's open most of the time and have only been given a hassel once and that was 4th weekend and the blue lights weren't even out of school yet. Only got a warning and told that I was too load.

DerangedToo
    Hey I have that boat with the 455, go to http://www.rivertoys.com/featuredboa...Checkmate.html
    to see mine, I have brand new rewarders with the baffles, and I get harrased out on the Great South Bay of Long Island, but they confirm I have baffles and tell me to have a nice day....btw, I would love to see pics of your ride
    Gregg

HYDROMOBILE
    They are legal ikf you run baffles ikn the , ik have a couple sets of ot's $75.00- $100.00 Jikm Brocki

Wet Dream
    Run baffles
    [This message has been edited by Wet Dream (edited February 23, 2002).]

TaylorLP20
    Tow out to Indiana and you won't have to worry about it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast