Thread: My Mantra Is Taking On Water

MANTRA MAN
    HEY YALL, I AM GETTING WATER IN THE BOAT AFTER HEAVY ACCELERATION? I AM NOT THAT FAMILIAR WITH JETS. I HAVE REPLACED ALL HOSES AND TORKED DOWN ALL BOLTS. IF IT IS THE BOWL GASKET HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM TWO BOLTS I DID RECENTLY PUT A STUFFER ON THE BOTTOM SIDE. I KNOW THE PUMP HAS BEEN SITTING AWHILE 12-J-E IN MY 1979 MANTRA BBC. ANY HELP WOULD BE A BLESSING......................I AM MANTRAMAN

Wet Dream
    Hey, we missed you at Anna this year. It is more than likely coming from the shaft at the packing glad. Tighten up the 2 nuts on the studs that face the engine from the pump. But not too tight, you want an average of one drip per minute at idle to keep the shaft from getting hot and burning up the packing. They will be the first nuts you see around the pump shaft after the ujoints. This is just my guess because I had the same thing going on with mine, and after tightening them up the leak stopped.

fat rat
    HEY YALL, I AM GETTING WATER IN THE BOAT AFTER HEAVY ACCELERATION? I AM NOT THAT FAMILIAR WITH JETS. I HAVE REPLACED ALL HOSES AND TORKED DOWN ALL BOLTS. IF IT IS THE BOWL GASKET HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM TWO BOLTS I DID RECENTLY PUT A STUFFER ON THE BOTTOM SIDE. I KNOW THE PUMP HAS BEEN SITTING AWHILE 12-J-E IN MY 1979 MANTRA BBC. ANY HELP WOULD BE A BLESSING......................I AM MANTRAMAN
    I have a Pal of mine with the same issues (I think).......but because of this problem he won't (can't) go boating with his Buddy's. If you figue this out in time, let me know. Thanx

orange peel
    I had to replace my bowl gasket in my jet. its not as hard as it looks i had the bowl off last week. all you have to have is three 6in ext, and a swivel unit it is a little tight but it will work. my boat was shooting water all the way to the seats but the gasket fixed it right up. good luck.

MANTRA MAN
    Thanks gang hope to get to that this week sometime and let you know. we had the harley out this weekend but life is full of decisions i just happen to have good ones!

On an E pump, the bowl is outside the hull, so a gasket won't have any effect. You mentioned you replaced the "stuffer", or loader. The 4 bolt holes going thru the hull to the plate must be WELL sealed with silicone, as they will leak ALOT if not sealed properly. Same is true for the bolts on the transom. Make sure they are well sealed also.