Thread: help on new fuel pump

afi823
    i have a stock 460 BBF from harman marine and i think the fuel pump leaks a little bit, b/c it smells a little like gasoline after a short trip. i need to buy a new one, any help would be appreciated. thanks guys

atxwrangler
    Iwould make sure first of all that it is the fuel pump, sometimes carbs leak and cause the same smell. Or you could have a leaky fitting.just my two cents, i am putting a holley mechanical on my 460.

FILUCKY
    What kind of fuel pump are you running? If your just running a stock fuel pump you can buy one at any local auto parts store for around 20 bucks, two bolts, two hoses your done.(15-20 min.)

Boatcop
    I'll start the safety debate here.
    Do not get an off the shelf automotive fuel pump for your boat.
    When they start to go bad, what happens? They leak gas from the weep hole in the bottom of the housing. What does that mean? It means you have a big puddle of gas in the bottom of your boat.
    FYI - 1 cup of gasoline has the explosive power of 10 sticks of TNT.
    Get a marine style fuel pump. They have a nipple on the bottom (in place of the weep hole) that will connect to a hose that goes into the carb or flame arrestor. That way, when the pump goes south and starts leaking, the gas is sucked back through the engine.
    Yeah, they're more expensive, a rip off, juat a way for the marine industry to get more of my money, street parts are just as good, yadda yadda yadda....
    And if that's your attitude toward marine parts, chances are you'll have an automotive starter, distributor, and/or alternator. Which will introduce a spark into that explosive gasoline mixture flowing around your bilge.
    BOOM
    Isn't your boat worth the few extra bucks to do it right, rather than treading water in the middle of the lake and watching the damn thing burn.

Wicked Performance Boats
    I agree with boatcop [shock] if you have an enclosed engine compartment, but if it's open, fumes aren't much of a problem and a jetboat normally has some water in the bilge . Just turn around and check the bilge every once in a while. You know like your looking for cops while you drive. It's called Defensive Driving. Budlight

Duane HTP
    One thing left out here. When a marine fuel pump goes bad, the little extra fitting sucks the fuel into the carb and causes a rich or flooding problem which you will notice pretty quick. When an automotine fuel pump goes bad, it can pump that leaking gasoline into your crankcase. It dilutes your oil and knocks engine bearinigs out quickly. So if you use a car part, be sure to stop and check your oil for gasoline every time you turn around to check your bilge and for cops.

Wicked Performance Boats
    One thing left out here. When a marine fuel pump goes bad, the little extra fitting sucks the fuel into the carb and causes a rich or flooding problem which you will notice pretty quick. When an automotine fuel pump goes bad, it can pump that leaking gasoline into your crankcase. It dilutes your oil and knocks engine bearinigs out quickly. So if you use a car part, be sure to stop and check your oil for gasoline every time you turn around to check your bilge and for cops.
    Yes, I agree Duane, that can happen but, Never on any car or boat that I have owned. I've heard of it but it is not a common problem. If you check your oil level everytime you take your boat, which you should, you would see a rise in oil level. Long before engine damage. Budlight